Surging and stalling in 94 Buick Regal 3.8 V6

Old 12-26-03, 03:39 PM
R Harsch
Visiting Guest
Surging and stalling in 94 Buick Regal 3.8 V6

My 94 Buick Regal seemed to have a dead battery, so I replaced it, but it turned out to be a bad alternator. That was replaced as well, but now I get intermittent surging and stalling at stoplights, in the driveway, etc. Doesn't happen all the time, sometimes goes for days without a problem, but then comes back. Also seems more likely when the engine is well warmed up. At steady highway speeds, there is no apparent problem. When it stalls, there is a hint of funny odor from the exhaust. It didn't do this before the battery/alternator problem. Car has about 78k miles, auto transmission, 3.8L V6, all the normal Buick power assists. Engine control module/computer??? I'm stumped, and would like some general advice before venturing into the dealership. If its something straightforward, I'm probably capable of swapping out parts, I just don't have any further diagnostic clues. Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-03, 03:56 PM
Put the car in drive and idle it for 10 minutes or until the coolant fan cycles once.Turn the car off for 30 seconds,restart the car idle in drive for 5 more minutes and it should be fine.Make sure the a/c or defrosters are turned off.

Old 12-28-03, 06:24 AM
wordofmouth
Visiting Guest
Well Davo, your procedure seemed to help because they havn't been back but I have to know as a previous owner of such a car with like problems, just exactly what does this do? Reset computer? Mine turned out to be a failing crank sensor. I was curious how you would know what to try on this car with such a common problem that could be anything.

Old 12-28-03, 07:45 AM
Well if it's fixed I hope R.Harsch let's us know.Certain year GM cars need an idle learn procedure done anytime the battery is disconnected or goes completely dead.It helps the computer learn how to idle the car.I'm not 100% sure it applied to the year in question but felt it was worth a shot.

Old 01-02-04, 08:35 AM
R Harsch
Visiting Guest
Sorry, Davo, I've been out of town since my original post, visiting my folks in Pittsburgh, as a matter of fact, as I see that's where you're located. I'll give this a try today or tomorrow, and let you know if it worked.

Old 01-10-04, 01:34 PM
R Harsch
Visiting Guest
Well guys, it didn't work. After sitting for a week (daughter's car college student), I drove it for the first time today after trying davo's procedure, and it seemed to be OK for a long while, but then began the surge and stall routine again. Funny how it really needs to be warmed up before this happens. Anyone suggest a next step? Perhaps a computer diagnostic? I heard Auto Zone offers this for free.

Old 01-10-04, 02:39 PM
Yes they do, but unfortunately they may only beable to do it on post 1996 vehicles equipped with OBDII. Is the Check Engine light on?
Billy

Old 01-11-04, 04:50 AM
Get some throttle body cleaner and hold the throttle open(engine off)spray it in there and scrub with an old toohbrush until clean.Then try the idle learn again.Are you sure it didn't surge and stall prior to the battery replacement?

Old 01-11-04, 05:19 AM
Re: Surging and stalling in 94 Buick Regal 3.8 V6

Originally posted by R Harsch
My 94 Buick Regal seemed to have a dead battery, so I replaced it, but it turned out to be a bad alternator. That was replaced as well, but now I get intermittent surging and stalling at stoplights, in the driveway, etc. Doesn't happen all the time, sometimes goes for days without a problem, but then comes back. Also seems more likely when the engine is well warmed up. At steady highway speeds, there is no apparent problem. When it stalls, there is a hint of funny odor from the exhaust. It didn't do this before the battery/alternator problem.
R Harsch, while the car is off inspect the coil packs for any black, sooty deposits on the outside or signs of cracking around the bottom of the plug wire towers. -* While the car is running. listen around the coil packs for a light ticking that might indicate that one of the towers is shorting to ground. When I lived in Florida I had to replace 3 coils on my Century. My symptoms were a slighty rougher idle and the ticking noise, worse when the engine warmed up. I never did get any stalling.

* - there's a seam at the bottom of the plug wire tower that
can open up too, not exactly a crack but relevant.

Christopher

Old 01-11-04, 06:59 AM
Re: Re: Surging and stalling in 94 Buick Regal 3.8 V6

Originally posted by ChristopherT

R Harsch, while the car is off inspect the coil packs for any black, sooty deposits on the outside or signs of cracking around the bottom of the plug wire towers. Christopher
He's getting an idle surge, not a misfire. He has no acceleration problems that would indicate that.

Try disconnecting the negative post of the battery before doing Davo's relearn procedure. I assume you've checked real good for vacuum leaks of any kind. Make sure the air snorkel from the MAF to the throttle body is good and secure if it's set up that way. I think your MAF is right on the throttle body though. You may need a scanner to look at the TPS and MAP if it has one. Your IAC could be bad but I suspect it is a mixture problem of some kind re; vacuum leak, MAF etc.