Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

swirl marks

Visiting Guest

12-27-03, 03:21 PM   #1  
cproctor
swirl marks

PLEASE HELP, I HAVE A BLACK 96 Z71 THAT HAS SWIRLS ALL OVER IT. ANY TIPS ON HOW TO GET THESE TERIBLE LOOKING MARKS OFF MY TRUCK?

Sponsored Links

WV

12-27-03, 04:32 PM   #2  
What caused the swirl marks? You might try to wax it or if it is real bad try to use a rubbing compound to soften the swirls.
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

Visiting Guest

12-27-03, 04:54 PM   #3  
cproctor
I THINK THEY CAME FROM WAXING WITH A BUFFER (THAT WANT HAPPEN AGAIN)

Visiting Guest

12-27-03, 05:32 PM   #4  
darrell McCoy
I have had decent results with clay magic. But you must use plenty of the lube. on a black finish.

12-27-03, 06:01 PM   #5  
Going back some years there was a product called Liquid Ebony made to remove swirl marks esp on black. Worked very well but was used with a buffer.

Today companies like 3M or Meguires have products for this pupose. They make products to be used with each other from start to finish, they call it a "system".Check any body paint supply or a well stocked auto store.

Black is the hardest color to buff properly, but when done right there is no better looking finish. Even some professional detailers will want to avoid black for that reason.

Visiting Guest

12-27-03, 06:37 PM   #6  
jimmymc
This is the way I do it...of course, this is usually on fresh paint...fully cured paint just takes longer.

Use an electric variable speed buffer, a Mequair's white FOAM pad, 3m machine swirl mark remover for dark colors.

The pad should be damp and the car clean.

Take one panel at a time, put about 3 or 4 small drops of swirl mark remover on the panel. Run the buffer about 500 RPM over the panel...continue until all of swirl mark remover is gone.

If it starts to get dry I usually mist it with water and continue.

Apply your favorite hand glaze...with a very soft cloth or towel.

Goodluck jimmymc

WV

12-27-03, 06:48 PM   #7  
If it got done from waxing then someone didnt keep the buffer clean. Small particles of dry wax will scratch just like sandpaper.
Billy

Search this Thread