rocker bolt striped

Old 12-27-03, 04:53 PM
bowlingpro2501
Visiting Guest
rocker bolt striped

Hay guys, I have a 79 GMC C 1500 with a 350 at, ps, pb, carb. It has a knocking sound so when i was replaceing the valve covers I started the truck and started to losen the tappets and then tighten them 1/2- 1/3 turn. Then found out that one of the bolts and nut was striped. is there a way to take that bolt out and replace it or re-thread it? how do I do that? thanks for your help guys. Matt

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-03, 07:17 PM
Unless you have screw in studs the rocker studs are pressed in. You can do it yourself, but you need a slide hammer with a stud remover. Then the new stud just presses in. The boss may be worn so there may be more involved. I have seen the studs pressed in worn holes and then roll pins put through the hole and the stud to hold it in place.
Hope this helps ya,
Billy

Old 08-30-04, 11:24 PM
bowlingpro2501
Visiting Guest
how do I put the stud back in? someone sudjested to use some brass and a hammer and just drive it in. is that ok? or do you have anyother methods. I have to do this in the truck. thanks again.

Old 08-31-04, 05:07 AM
call your local...

...machine shop and ask the guy that does all the head work what he suggests. you may be able to press a new one in on the vehicle or drill the hole after removing the stud and replacing with a screw in replacement.

as for adjusting the "tappets" what you are really doing is centering the hydraulic lifters and it's important to turn the nuts the correct amount...whether it's 1/2 turn, 1 turn or 1 1/2 turns...chevrolet uses more than one spec depending on the year and engine. so...get the correct spec and when you adjust them you can do it without the engine running by putting the engine at #1 cyl TDC compression stroke and adjusting the appropriate rockers nuts according to the manual. back off the nut til you have play (lash), then slowly turn the nut til you just have 0 lash...then turn the specified amount. the manual will tell you which ones you can adjust at #1 TDC compression....then turn the engine over one revolution back to TDC (this time you'll be on the exhaust stroke) and do all others. this procedure works perfectly if you take your time and is WAYYYYYY less messy

Old 08-31-04, 08:07 PM
bowlingpro2501
Visiting Guest
carguyinva

Hey thank you very much. I called a shop. they sugest taping and screw in stud. I will be doing that. thank you so very much. I will be doing that this weekend and then geting the truck timed on monday. thanks again carguyinva.

Old 09-01-04, 06:01 PM
I assume you mean you are going to have the machine shop do the repair? Installing screw in studs is not exactly backyard repair. You most likely need to have the boss milled to accept the shoulder so that the geometry is correct with the other original pressed in studs.
Hope this helps ya,
Billy