oil question

Old 12-27-03, 05:04 PM
oil question

I'm not trying to start a synthetic vs other oil deal just a question.

In my opinion whether you use one or the other, oil changes are necessary every 3 months or 3,000 miles.

However, I'm standing in a store today and overheard a couple talking. They were trying to find some oil for their friend. They said that it wasn't here, because the $5 bottle wasn't the correct brand. It usually runs around $17 per bottle, and he used 10w-50.

Then stupid me opens my mouth. I mentioned that I knew where they could get the $17 per quart but asked if they were sure that is what they needed. The gentleman who they were purchasing it for popped up and said yes, it is necessary. Its for his $60,000 jaguar. Okay, my mouth opened again LOL I'm not above anyone having a $60,000 anything, but I couldn't help but stifle a laugh. The kindest thing I could say at his arrogance was: 'why are you putting 50 weight in a $60,000 jag?' He didn't answer me, just pointed out that he knows about oil, etc. I just nodded and began minding my own business again, as I should have to begin with.

I guess my questions are :why would anyone put 10w-50 in their car, $60,000 or $600, during the winter months? The only time I've used 50w in anything was when my rings were worn and I couldn't afford to rebuild. Second, as long as an oil is certified and the correct weight/forumula for your vehicle what difference does it make whether or not its synthetic or 'regular' oil?

Kay

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-03, 06:51 PM
It's probably not the best choice but not that much of a problem. A 10W-50 oil has the properties of a 10 weight oil in cold weather and a 50 weight in hot weather. I have never heard of ANY motor oil that costs $17 a quart though. I'm really curious to what he was looking for.

Old 12-27-03, 07:56 PM
I quit trying to be a mechanic when I discovered that my dwell meter was broken...............and I didn't need one anymore, anyway

IMHO, $17.00 a quart oil sounds like an ego on overdrive!!

Old 12-27-03, 08:35 PM
Its not Syntec, which is $5 a quart, but something similar in name. A well known parts house here sells it and I can't remember the name.

As far as the 50w end of the oil, it wouldn't matter this time of the year, correct? Its cooler out so he's getting the 10 weight effect.

Does a jag generate enough heat that you would need a 50 weight oil in the summer time?

Also, what is the benefit of a synthetic oil? All I can see, is that it doesn't have the breakdown that normal oil does but still needs to be changed due to impurities oil picks up as it works through the engine. Is this why high performance engine owners might use it?

Also, not a car buff here. Any car that runs and drives safely is a winner to me. Is a Jag a high performance car or just a luxury car?

Kay

Old 12-27-03, 08:38 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
i would love to see his face when he spins some engine bearings(destroys the engine) and jaguar comes out and takes an oil sample and finds it's the wrong oil.

what worked in the 70's and 80's, doesn't work anymore. engine's tolerances are so tight these days, and the wrong oil viscosity WILL cause problems in the long run. ask me how i know. dodge's 2.7L intrepid engines come to mind. 10W-30 only.
(and they will periodically do an oil sample). another way to void your warranty. more proof that money and brains don't go hand in hand!!

some true synthetics cost that much i think, like royal purple, redline, or amsoil

Old 12-27-03, 10:25 PM
KurtDixon
Visiting Guest
Hmm, what is a Jag?
Well it depends what Jag you get. Some are just powerful luxury cars. Others are really powerful and definitely have performance in mind.
Depends. If I had 60,000 to blow on a car, I would buy a Hyundai accent and then pocket the other 50,000 lol

Old 12-27-03, 11:25 PM
You and me both Kurt.

Kay

Old 12-28-03, 03:24 AM
The question in my mind is: Does the manufacturer recommend this oil? If so, then fine. If not, then he is wasting his money.

Here is a very good read on motor oil.

Last edited by raharold; 12-28-03 at 05:24 AM.
Old 12-28-03, 04:07 AM
Not looking to start the petrolium/synthetic debate again but I saw some interesting facts on that link Raharold posted. I'll post the excerpt now that JoeF isn't here to argue and deny the facts.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The synthetics offer the only truly significant differences, due to their superior high temperature oxidation resistance, high film strength, very low tendency to form deposits, stable viscosity base, and low temperature flow characteristics. Synthetics are superior lubricants compared to traditional petroleum oils. You will have to decide if their high cost is justified in your application.

The extended oil drain intervals given by the vehicle manufacturers (typically 7500 miles) and synthetic oil companies (up to 25,000 miles) are for what is called normal service. Normal service is defined as the engine at normal operating temperature, at highway speeds, and in a dust free environment. Stop and go, city driving, trips of less than 10 miles, or extreme heat or cold puts the oil change interval into the severe service category, which is 3000 miles for most vehicles. Synthetics can be run two to three times the mileage of petroleum oils with no problems. They do not react to combustion and combustion by-products to the extent that the dead dinosaur juice does. The longer drain intervals possible help take the bite out of the higher cost of the synthetics. If your car or bike is still under warranty you will have to stick to the recommended drain intervals. These are set for petroleum oils and the manufacturers make no official allowance for the use of synthetics.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think this reinforces my previous stand on extented intervals with synthetic oil.

Old 12-28-03, 09:56 AM
Can you swap them back and forth. I mean, I need to change my oil every 3 months or 3k miles because I drive the mom-taxi.

However, I drove to Vegas (from Memphis, TN) and back in 3 days. Would it have been a good idea to stick a synthetic in it for the duration of the trip and then go back to what I normally use? I did an oil change immediately after we returned.

Oh, I drive a 93 Ford Taurus wagon that I purchased used a year ago. And....I feel really foolish right now since I need an oil change {yikes}, about 500 miles ago.

I studied oil back in 94 or 95. Things have changed since then! Not just the oils, but the engines for what they're designed.

Thanks for the information,

Kay

Old 12-28-03, 10:37 AM
My personal opinion is that synthetics should be used for performance applications that put severe stress on oil like turboed/supercharged cars and race cars.

I would choose a good brand of regular dino oil with a viscosity the mfg recommends. I prefer Castrol.

Don't worry about the 500 miles over.

Old 12-28-03, 01:11 PM
Kay... You shouldnt switch back and forth between conventional oil and synthetics. Use one or the other because of the way the different oils react on the tolerances in the engine. A little over on an oil change is not a big deal as long as its not 3k over.

Desi.... I dont disagree with you, but I am adamant about changing oil every 3000 miles regardless. Call it personal preference, but I have seen all kinds, types, and weights of oil after 3k+ miles and they all look pretty much the same, like tar.

Raharold..... I agree with you that a consumer should pick a specific brand based on whatever recommendations or consumer information tips they have received and stick to it. As long as it is in line with what their vehicle manufacturer recommends. Castrol is a very good oil. I use Havoline in all of my vehicles.

We were at Walmart this morning and the greeter in the TLE area was telling the customer that they put either 10w30 or 5w30 in the vehicles. This guy was driving an Expedition with a 5.4L, so I piped in and told him (the customer) that it was either 5w30 or 5w20. The newer Fords have it on the oil cap and I have yet to see one recommend 10w30.
Billy

Old 12-28-03, 01:28 PM
It's no big deal to swap oils back and forth and it's no big deal to drive to Vegas on regular petrolium oil, with the correct viscosity of course. The stress comes in if you run it hot, overloaded or towing something.

Billy
I know your erring on the side of gauranteed safe but synthetic oils can definately go much further than regular oils, especially in severe use situations. The dealers just can't endorse that for obvious reasons. I've seen much literature and data backing that up. Synthetic oil will NEVER look like tar coming out. That's the big difference.

Old 12-28-03, 10:27 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
copied from the same article, (which appears to be a person's opinion).

Editor's Note: This information appears to have been posted in a public message to rec.motorcycles. I have not been able to verify the accuracy or source for this file.

The numbers above are not, by any means, all there is to determining what makes a top quality oil. The exact base stock used, the type, quality, and quantity of additives used are very important. The given data combined with --->the manufacturer's claims<---, your personal experience, and the reputation of the oil among others who use it should help you make an informed choice.

if anybody wants 3000 mile Mobil 1, i'll sell it cheap.

and my opinion is exactly the same as RAharold

Old 12-29-03, 03:54 AM
I'm not getting into this debate again.

Old 12-29-03, 09:44 AM
Cool

I agree. I think we answered Kay's questions.

Originally posted by Desi501
I'm not getting into this debate again.

Old 12-29-03, 10:02 AM
You did answer my questions, and I thank you all very much!

Have a great day everyone! Am off to tackle the holiday decorations and see if I can't manage them all back into their boxes LOL.

Kay