Starter

Old 12-29-03, 10:37 AM
Starter

Friday my starer went and since there are no autozones here in Mexico I took it to a bunch of people to rebuild I finally decided to let a local rebuild it. 85 Dodge B150 van 318 with a 86 engine from a Dodge truck.
I stayed with the person and he repaced the windings on the armature which were burned, the brushes and bearins were also replaced.
I replace the starter which had no shims and it gets me started fine however there is this horrible screach before it starts.
Any thoughts on what is wrong. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-03, 05:34 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
either the dust shield (torque converter cover) is bent, or something got reassembled wrong. maybe the overrunning clutch inside the starter is dry or bad or both.

Old 12-30-03, 12:20 PM
Mike thanks, the dust cover is not bent and is on properly. I removed and replaced the starter myself and it is in properly. Will I hurt anything using it like it is. I will pick up a new starter when I get back to the states.

Old 12-30-03, 08:01 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
i meant the starter was possibly not assembled correctly.

when an engine starts, it spins the starter shaft faster than it should(before it can disengage) that's why a bendix drive is engineered and sometimes an overrunning (one way roller)clutch is used on the end of it. if this is binding, or seized, it is allowing the engine to spin the starter internals faster than it would normally be.

i would say in the short run, it shouldn't hurt things.

Old 12-31-03, 09:03 AM
Thanks Mike, will bu using the van sparingly and pick up a rebuilt starter in March. Happy holidays