engine stalls

Old 12-29-03, 11:10 AM
ken wilson
Visiting Guest
Question engine stalls

1990 dodge dakota 2.5 eng,tbi
after about 15 minutes in the morning the engine stalls down to an idle. It does this about 2-8 times in a row. You have to pull off
to the side of the road and then you can take off again.Then it will run ok the rest of the day.I have repleced the plugs,wires,cap,
rotor,tps sensor and checked most of the vacum lines and replaced them.I have taken it to two mechanics and they put a scanner on it and the scanner says every thing is ok.One mechanic had the scanner on it driving down the road and it stalled out the scanner showed every thing was normal and the engine was stalling out at the same time!!!!!!!!!nobody knows
what to do?

Last edited by ken wilson; 12-29-03 at 03:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-03, 02:38 PM
I don't know what you mean by "tbi sensor" but I would clean the throttle body, throttle plate and IAC real good with carb cleaner and an old toothbrush. That's usually the first thing to do with that problem.

Old 12-29-03, 03:42 PM
ken wilson
Visiting Guest
Re: engine stalls

Originally posted by ken wilson
1990 dodge dakota 2.5 eng,tbi
after about 15 minutes in the morning the engine stalls down to an idle. It does this about 2-8 times in a row. You have to pull off
to the side of the road and then you can take off again.Then it will run ok the rest of the day.I have repleced the plugs,wires,cap,
rotor,tps sensor and checked most of the vacum lines and replaced them.I have taken it to two mechanics and they put a scanner on it and the scanner says every thing is ok.One mechanic had the scanner on it driving down the road and it stalled out the scanner showed every thing was normal and the engine was stalling out at the same time!!!!!!!!!nobody knows
what to do?
PS:I ment tps instead of tbi

Old 12-29-03, 05:44 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
i'm trying to picture what's happening

you said it stalls down to an idle, which i don't completely understand.

is it possible to describe it a little clearer, do you see any colored smoke from the tailpipe? car not responding to throttle input? has anybody put a fuel pressure gauge on it and watched it while it was happening?

Old 12-29-03, 06:14 PM
Re: Re: engine stalls

Originally posted by ken wilson

PS:I ment tps instead of tbi
That makes more sense

Old 12-29-03, 06:52 PM
ken wilson
Visiting Guest
engine stalls

mike nj
There is no smoke from the tail pipe. I forgot to mention I put on a new fuel filter and a new fuel pump. When I say it stalls to an idle I mean the engine won't throttle up and will just idle if you try to give it throttle it will die. So you coast to the side of the road and stop. Then you put in gear and off you go. Maybe a short distance or maybe it will run just fine? Today it did it once and it coasted to about 15 mph yhen took off and ran fine the rest of the day. just did it one time today but sometimes it might do it up 8 times before it takes off!! Driving me crazy.

Old 12-29-03, 10:30 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
it sounds like you have a good intermittent problem, i enjoy working on these, as they are like a puzzle to me. over the net, though, it's not so easy.

i would drive with a fuel pressure gauge hooked up, and mounted so i could read it while driving. i would also have a spark tester mounted in a wire, so i could easily see it with the hood open and my hand on the key. depending on what you're losing, would help narrow the problem down.

first let me say, the distributor pickup sensor is a known problem on these. we (friends and family) used to drive with one in the glove box, as it would get more use than a spare tire. usually when it goes---it doesn't start anymore, however there is always the intermittent no-start. if it's original, replace it, for safety's sake. it's right under the distributor cap.

if it were to go bad, there would be no rpm signal to the computer, and it would think the car is simply not running. it rarely sets a code and all the other sensors would read OK.

let us know what you find

Old 12-30-03, 03:51 AM
Wow, those symptoms paint a much different picture. I agree with the fuel gauge on the highway idea but I really doubt your dealing with an ignition problem. I would say it almost has to be injection or fuel related. The fact that the scanner showed everything normal and no record of any problem kinda leans toward a problem with the PCM but still needs more diagnosis to be conclusive. It appears it didn't fail while the scanner was attached, right? That data would have been helpful.