Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Ignition won't turn off car!!

Visiting Guest

12-29-03, 01:23 PM   #1  
mulan2142
Ignition won't turn off car!!

When I went to start my car, the ignition seemed stuck, so I turned the steering wheel and that seemed to do the trick. But when I went to turn off the car, I turned the ignition to the off position and removed the key, but the engine remained on. I put the key back and turn it, and it seemed to do nothing. I do not now what to do. I'm assuming something in wrong with the ignition switch but do not know how to fix it. Can anyone help?!? Thanks.

Sponsored Links

12-29-03, 01:53 PM   #2  
Please post year,make and model and we can go from there.

Visiting Guest

01-03-04, 12:03 PM   #3  
mulan2142
The car is a 1992 Ford Taurus

WV

01-03-04, 12:31 PM   #4  
In forcing the switch to the on position with the wheel locked you probably sheared off the mechanism and it will have to be replaced. The pieces in the column are made of aluminum at best, but most times pot metal and it isnt designed to take any abuse. If you dont have an air bag in the steering wheel then this is definately a DIY job and it can be done in a short time even by a novice. You need a good manual to give you step by step procedures. The Chiltons Library is currently down so we cant send you there for steps. Sorry.
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

Search this Thread