why is my engine squealing?

Old 12-29-03, 02:34 PM
marialatina
Visiting Guest
why is my engine squealing?

Greetings!

I own a 96 Geo Metro 4 door sedan, automatic. I bought it in 96 new off the lot. I have never had any problems with it. It has about 80,000 miles on it. It's a great little work car. But lately I am having the following problem:

It squeals when I start it. I am in Iowa, so I thought maybe this was because of the cold weather, but it has been nice here, and warmer weather does not seem to make a difference.

I start the engine, and it squeals while I drive, and the engine seems to be reluctant to go, until I drive it for about 3 or 4 minutes. It squeals when I step on the gas. When I step on the brake it stops, but when I go again, it squeals again for a few seconds.

I've noticed that once I've driven the car for for a bit, and it quits squealing, it seems as thought the engine "kicks in", like the squealing part was holding the engine back a bit. The air kicks in, the radio gets a bit louder.

I have checked the fluids, and have plenty of transmission fluid and oil. I had some belts replaced about two months ago. Could this be a belt squealing?

Oh, and sometimes while the engine is squealing, I can hear the engine knocking a bit as well. It does this on occasion, but not all the time. Usually when I start it first thing in the morning

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Maria

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-03, 03:15 PM
fan belt

My bet is a worn fan belt typical squeal.Check it out dont let it go or it will break replace it since it is glazed by now.

Old 12-29-03, 04:00 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
You might remove the belt, turn the alt. and water pump by hand. See if you have unwanted resistance. If that engine incorporates a timing belt, and I am sure it does, at that mileage it is likely past due. That should not cause the squealing however.

Old 12-29-03, 04:02 PM
rocketir
Visiting Guest
Do you have A/C on this car? When the car is running and squeaking, check the the pulley on the A/C is turning.

Old 12-29-03, 04:03 PM
I'd bet it's the belt also. Pumps get easier to turn when the the fluid warms up, that's why the noise goes away.

Old 12-29-03, 05:56 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
any time you start a car, the battery's power is used. the alternator tries to recharge it as fast as possible. that's why i would check the alt belt first, as it is trying to recharge the battery back to full power. maybe watch the belts as someone else revs the engine, you can usually see a belt slap around that's loose and squealing. the fact that the radio and fan kick on higher supports this theory too.

before that--- i would take it back to whoever just put the belts on it, and make them tighten it.

Old 12-30-03, 08:45 AM
marialatina
Visiting Guest
did I damage my engine?

i started my car, and while it was screaming, put my ear to the engine. it is definately one of the new belts. I will take it back to the old fart who put them in. In the meantime, do you think I've done any damage to the engine?

Old 12-30-03, 10:53 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Probably no damage. Never know, it may have been the wrong belt. Sometime a person can be taken advantage of. Specially if you have no mech knowledge of whats going on. Smart move, take it back to the old F*** and give him a piece of your mind. You payed for a service and do not accept anything less. Might remember this guy the next time you want anything done.

Old 12-30-03, 01:47 PM
marialatina
Visiting Guest
thanks

Thank you gentlemen, I appreciate your help very much!!

Old 12-30-03, 02:10 PM
its OK

No damage just to your ears just fix it before it breaks and then it might cause damage.