Dodge D-150 Problems

Old 12-29-03, 09:14 PM
Dodge D-150 Problems

Yes I have a 1984 Dodge D-150 with a 318 5.2 2 barrel, with A/T I have 2 problems, 1st the the air cleaning housing, I got to change filter every month or 2, because the housing gets like a black oil and gas smell liquid in it and clogs filter. Not like full but all the way around bottom of housing. There is a vlave in housing that looks like it should have a hose connected to it but does not it's in the housing right behind carburater and is about the size of a fifty cent piece. I have had truck 10 years and never had one on it, I have changed breather from valve cover to the air filter and the PCV valve. The truck has been using a whole lot more gas recently but it still runs great. Second when I was messing under hood of truck I am getting exhaust from right beside engine were the I guess exhaust manifold is. When I start it up a cloud of smoke came up from under the hood in that area and then when running I can see a little. I found 2 bolts under truck a month or so ago could these bolts came out of the manifold and cause the leak, if so If I could find the holes to put bolts back in would this take care of problem. I just noticed this today while changing oil and brakes, Thanks for any help with either of these questions, Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-03, 10:41 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
i love when customers come in with parts from the driveway and ask "could this be mine?"

the bolts either loosened up and fell out, or they snapped off and landed there. look closely at them. i would tell you the measurement to look for, but there are different length bolts. is there a clean edge where they snapped off?

take a flashlight, and look through the smoke and see exactly where it is coming from and for missing bolts. you might also have a rusted through air pump steel pipe, it feeds air from the air pump to the exhaust system.

for the first problem---did you ever check the choke, if it's closing and opening properly? maybe just the top of the carb is leaking, or the float inside is leaking and way too much fuel is entering the carb and flowing out the top into the air filter housing. you'll need to do a little investigating for that problem(for both problems)