I Need a Trick

Old 12-30-03, 09:26 AM
Roberto S.
Visiting Guest
I Need a Trick

I have a '89 Celica, 2.0 (I think), 4 cyl (I know). The oil filter sits on the front of the engine. Is there a way (trick) to get this type of filter off without the oil in the filter draining onto the engine or garage floor. Seems like I go through multitudes of rags every time I change oil. TIA for any response.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-03, 09:34 AM
i changed my own oil for years, but decided as i got older that i didnt have a proper way to dispose of the used oil or the rags and filter. for about 20 bucks you can let it be someone elses problem and know the waste is properly disposed of. just my opinion. good luck.

Old 12-30-03, 10:47 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
I had a 2.8 one time years ago, same problem. Got to where I hated changing the oil. I poked a hole in the filter, rotated it a half turn and caught the oil before I removed it. A little time consuming, but no muss, no fuss. So much for the oil filter placement engineering.

Old 12-30-03, 04:14 PM
Sometimes there is no trick be glad the filter is accessible some are real hard to get to.You could try to fashion some type of funnel to help avoid the problem.A one of a kind.

Old 12-30-03, 06:06 PM
We use a solvent called Shop-Solv a recyclable non chorinated cleaning solvent. It comes in a 16.5 oz spray can and the cost is very reasonable. It does a good job of cleaning up the oil.

Old 12-30-03, 07:15 PM
boflaade
Visiting Guest
I usualy wrap a plastic bag arround the filter and let it fall in as I loosen it.
You can leave an old wrag in the bag to insure a hole dosen't cause a quick leak. Not 100% but helps a little.