interior dash light burnt out?

Old 12-30-03, 01:29 PM
chapman
Visiting Guest
Question interior dash light burnt out?

1997 honda civic ex 2 door coupe

the interior dash light which illuminates the speedometer (etc) at night when the headlights have been turned in is either burnt out or a blew a fuse. my owners manual was stolen (as was the car.. i got the car back, but not the manual), so i am not sure what to check.

is this something i can figure out myself with simple instruction, or is getting a new manual first a must?

i do fear a mechanic would see "young female" and totally overcharge me for something i can do myself. (i've changed brakelights, foglights, etc, myself before) thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-03, 03:06 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
If all the other I/P lites work it is likely a bulb/bulbs. The fuses should be labeled at the fuse block. If you cannot get to the bulbs from (unlikely) underneath, the speedo cluster will have to come out to change bulb. Best if you could borrow, rent a repair manual on this. No doubt it is as simple as snapping off the front of dash and removing the cluster itself. If it is a bulb, replace them all, I dont think you want to do it X2. Bulbs are not expensive, but labor is.

Old 12-30-03, 03:34 PM
Was any wiring damaged during the theft?If they stole the radio or something the theives are not real careful about removal and wires are probably cut or shorted.I had a car stolen so I know how you feel.

Old 12-31-03, 10:30 AM
chapman
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by davo
Was any wiring damaged during the theft?If they stole the radio or something the theives are not real careful about removal and wires are probably cut or shorted.I had a car stolen so I know how you feel.
I don't think any wiring was damaged. They *did* steal the radio, but since then I put a new radio in, and that works just fine. As well, if it was damaged, then I would have thought the body shop that put the car back together (air bags & radio in the dash area) would have noticed. They do guarantee their work, so if they missed it, they would repair it no charge, but I fear that isn't the issue. I will keep it in mind as one of the possibilities.

Thanks!