Half-shaft

Old 12-30-03, 03:07 PM
Half-shaft

I have a 1994 Mercury Sable wagon with 86,000 miles on it. The half shaft has come un-hooked from the transmission twice in the last (2) months. I thinking of having the half shaft replaced. Any other ideas? Work done before this starting happening was lower control arm / ball joint assembly was replaced and strut link bar was also replaced. Could this be related?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-03, 03:23 PM
A circlip should be on the axle shaft remove the shaft and see if it's there.If it's there get a new one.If not get one and put it on or replace the shaft at that mileage if you will be keeping the car.I would be concerned if its missing and inside the trans.Was the shaft out of the car during the other repairs or popped loose?

Old 12-30-03, 03:26 PM
Check your motor mounts closely but I would guess that it's not locking in proberly. Check the condition of the locking snap ring. Now, you do mean that the joint is coming out of the transmission, not the joint itself coming apart, right?

Old 12-30-03, 03:30 PM
Yes, I mean that the joint is coming out of the transmission and the car does not move.

Old 12-30-03, 04:24 PM
It should be locking in more securely than that. I'd replace the clip on the end and make sure it locks all the way when you re-install it into the transmission. The only ones I ever saw come out weren't in all the way to start with.

Old 12-30-03, 06:11 PM
I think it could related.

I would be concerned about damage to the splines in the diff from poping out. Have the splines on the axel and diff looked at closely when the clip is replaced.

Old 12-31-03, 08:49 AM
all good points.... if it's come out a couple times....make sure the seal on the transmission is still in good shape. It could have been damaged when the axle came out.

Old 12-31-03, 11:10 AM
I think we solved the mystery. I had a half shaft installed a year ago. It would appear the shaft installed was the wrong one because it was 3/4" to 1" shorter then the new correct one. There are different shaft lenghts for 3 speed, 4 speed and manual transmissions. (close but not the same) Thanks for the help.

Old 12-31-03, 12:05 PM
Glad you solved the mystery, thats why service history is very important at diagnosing a problem.

Search this Thread