Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Intake gasket installation

12-31-03, 07:35 AM   #1  
Intake gasket installation

My brother has a 2000 Lumina that has been missing antifreeze too. The garage told him it was a intake gasket and quoted him $650 to repair it. That sound very high to me although I am not a mechanic. The garage told him they had some leak sealer that might work til he decided what to do so they put some in and it stopped leaking. Exactly how much should it cost to replace the intake gasket ?? The garage said they almost have to remove the engine to do it or at least a large part of the engine. I know the "smart " engineers try to see how difficult they can make it ti get to parts and repair them but I wonder if they need to remove most of the engine? Anyone got any suggestions?

Sponsored Links

12-31-03, 02:17 PM   #2  
The job is billed at about 6.5 to 7.0 hours times the flat rate hour in that shop.Parts are going to be about $70.So if they are at say $85 an hour that's about right.No they are not removing most of the engine but it is a labor intensive job.I would suggest repairing it before it starts dumping coolant into the oil making a bigger problem.It's not hard to do just time consuming,alot of parts need to be removed.

12-31-03, 03:31 PM   #3  
Thanks Davo

Thanks for the info....I suppose it is a $650 job as you describe it am used to older cars that i used to replace head gaskets and carbs on...older ones were much easier to work on....
I will inform my brother that he should have it repaired or trade it...again..thanks

LA

01-02-04, 12:37 PM   #4  
I just spent just over $700 on same job (plus replaced plastic POS intake) for '97 Bonneville.

Search this Thread