Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

98 caravan starting problems

Visiting Guest

01-01-04, 10:23 AM   #1  
jimfh
98 caravan starting problems

My 98 caravan with 3.3 engine ,wont start all the time sometimes it just clicks,but when you try again it starts ,I HAVE A GOOD battery,can you please tell me what the problem may be?thanks&HAPPY NEWYEAR TO ALL JIMFH!

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

01-01-04, 10:37 AM   #2  
obrien513
I suspect you have starter problem. Need to have starter checked.

Visiting Guest

01-01-04, 11:17 AM   #3  
jimfh
98 caravan

How would you go about checking it,&can i do it by myself?thanks!

Visiting Guest

01-01-04, 03:46 PM   #4  
obrien513
Don't know way to test yourself other than to install new starter. Unless you are handy to install a new starter yourself, take car to reliable auto repair facility to check starter. Could also be solenoid on starter causing problem.

Visiting Guest

01-01-04, 05:06 PM   #5  
jimfh
98 caravan starter

Do you know the procedure for changing,it ive replaced them on rearwheel drive ,but never with frontwheel, is it very dififcult or time consuming?

WV

01-01-04, 06:39 PM   #6  
On that vehicle it is quite easy. You will most likely have to do it from underneath, but its right on the front of the engine next to the radiator. Just be sure to remove the negative battery cable first. 3 bolts and its out.
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

Visiting Guest

01-01-04, 09:35 PM   #7  
mike from nj
extremely easy, two mounting (15mm) bolts, and the fat battery wire(13mm), drive it up on ramps and have at it. the small shield between the starter and trans case is labeled with an "up"

the solenoid is not replaceable on this nippondenso starter, the contacts wear out inside. i've heard of people modifying other manfacturer's nipp starter repair kits, i haven't tried this yet, but i have taken good contacts out of another (bad) starter and made one good one (not for a customer of course)

the only way i know to test for sure, is to measure voltage on the big terminal of the starter, it should remain constant (battery voltage), even when it won't start.

Visiting Guest

01-02-04, 06:57 AM   #8  
jimfh
98 caravan starter

thanks a bunch,ill try that.HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Visiting Guest

01-02-04, 07:33 AM   #9  
jimfh
98 caravan starter

one more question,one evening we had left the ignition key on&it killed the battery,could this have damaged the starter?

01-02-04, 02:08 PM   #10  
No that would not damage the starter.

Visiting Guest

01-10-04, 10:47 AM   #11  
jimfh
98 caravan starter installation

dear billy 68ss,Idont know if youve gotten my email l Isent you nearlier today,but removing this starter has turned into a major deal,the 2 15mm bolts holding it I could not get at I tried using a wrench& a 3/8 drive ratchet,but couldnt get them on the bolts because the mtr mount is blocking them,so I went out &bought a socket with a1/4 drive & was successful on removing one of them,the only way I can see getting to the other one is to remove the mtr. mount,if you have any other ideas let me know ,please!

WV

01-10-04, 01:15 PM   #12  
You should not have to remove the motor mount. If that is the case then you are likely trying to remove the wrong bolts. The starter bolts are right out there in the open.
Billy

Visiting Guest

01-10-04, 01:57 PM   #13  
jimfh

hey billy do you have adrawing or a schematic?

WV

01-10-04, 02:27 PM   #14  
No, sorry, I sure dont.... my Alldata is down here at the house.
Billy

Visiting Guest

01-10-04, 02:38 PM   #15  
jimfh

when you find it get back to me ,thank you!

Visiting Guest

01-10-04, 07:00 PM   #16  
mike from nj
i've replaced a few hundred starters and never touched the motor mount. the two 15s come from the trans side and thread into the starter itself. one you can use a socket, the other is usually a wrench only. you will not be able to get full swings out of the wrench, but it is the only way to do it.

if you want to take out the mount, it supports zero pounds. it only controls the twisting of the engine. a tight 18 from the top, two 15s on the bottom and the 'through' bolt into the isolator (rubber mount). you better have the e-brake on, as the engine will roll slightly upward and will be a bear to reinstall unless the trans is in neutral.

let us know

Search this Thread