Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

amount of oil

01-01-04, 04:40 PM   #1  
amount of oil

My daughter has bought a 1996 santurn 4cyl, it did not come with a owners manual, need to find out how many quarts of oil the engine holds. Thanks

Sponsored Links

VA

01-01-04, 05:47 PM   #2  
Can't say directly...

... but I've had success posting such questions on the UseNet, a text only newsgroup. I found one for Saturn at
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e....makers.saturn

Since probably all you want to do is an oil change, I bet you could call a dealer and ask somebody in the parts dept.

WV

01-01-04, 06:29 PM   #3  
I cant access Alldata right now, so this is what I do when I dont know how much oil goes in a particular car. Normally I start with 4 quarts in any engine.... except for the new Hondas with the 1.7 VTEC engine they ony use 3.5 quarts.... Then add from there after starting and letting the oil pressure build, thus filling the filter. That engine should only take 4 quarts, but may take a little bit more depending. This is a safe and effective way to top your oil off. Be sure to let it set for a few minutes after you start it to let the oil drain back down to the pan.
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

On the dipstick between the lines (LOW and ADD) is 1 quart so if it is halfway between the lines then you need to add 1/2 of a quart.

Search this Thread