Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

91 town car won't crank...

Visiting Guest

01-02-04, 08:25 AM   #1  
tillila
91 town car won't crank...

howdy.

1991 town car 4.6L , won't crank...installed: new battery,new
starter, new neutral safety switch,adjusted shift cable to spec's...
and still crank up some times, only after couple trys. you will hear"clicks" from solinoid but not spinning. took starter out but
kep it connected to same cables(solinoid cable,battery cable)
it will work fine when ignition key is operated! checked these cables
they got power. could it be ignition switch it self? but i get power
to starter relay,Hmmm!
is anybody out there
can help me to correct this problem?

my thanks to all(happy new year )

Last edited by tillila; 01-02-04 at 10:33 AM.

Sponsored Links

01-02-04, 09:43 AM   #2  
Did you check to see if you are actually getting power to the starter? Could be a faulty solionoid or bad cable.

Do you hear the starter spinning without the engine turning over? If so, it could be a flat spot(s) on the flywheel ring gear.

Visiting Guest

01-02-04, 10:31 AM   #3  
tillila
Originally posted by raharold
Did you check to see if you are actually getting power to the starter? Could be a faulty solionoid or bad cable.

Do you hear the starter spinning without the engine turning over? If so, it could be a flat spot(s) on the flywheel ring gear.
hi raharold.
no it does not spin. as you pointed out, it souds like solonoid/relay doesn't energize starter motor...inspected cables,
hooked it up to same cables(out of vehicule) it works every time!
i will install new cables/connectors & run tests...

thanks

01-02-04, 04:56 PM   #4  
Some of those Fords have redundant solonoids. The one on the firewall merely triggers the one on the starter. The wire going to the starter from the top solonoid has a fusable link right at the starter. You can have an intermittant break in that link. I fixed a Ranger today with the same problem. You couldn't even feel a bad spot in the link but it was bad. All this is assuming you have this setup with another solonloid on the starter.

Search this Thread