Replacing Timing Belt of 97 Camry LE-Timing Marks

Old 01-02-04, 08:14 PM
qfang1234
Visiting Guest
Question Replacing Timing Belt of 97 Camry LE-Timing Marks

I am replacing the timing belt of a 97 Toyota Camry LE (2.2 L) with 95,000 miles on it. Before I removed the upper timing cover, I lined the crankshaft pulley Timing mark to TDC position. After removing the upper timing belt cover, I found, however, the camshaft timing mark is not lined up properly. The crankshaft pulley Timing mark is still lined up good. Is this possible? Or the belt has jumped teeth? Should I redo the camshaft timimg mark?
If I lined up the camshaft timing mark, the cranshaft timing mark will not be lined up properly. What should I do? I really appreciate the advices from the experts on this forum.

Thanks.

Qui

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-04, 08:21 PM
Was it running before you pulled it apart? How far off are the marks? Make sure you have all of the marks lined up in the correct position. I have seen where people who dont know what they are doing ruin a head and 20 valves because they lined up the marks all wrong. Not a pretty sight.
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

Old 01-03-04, 03:09 AM
I don't quite understand what stage your at. You say these marks are off AFTER removing the belt. The spring pressure of the valves will move the camshaft by itself if nothing is holding it. Did you check the alignment BEFORE removing any belts? They have to line up perfectly WITH THE TENSIONER TIGHT. The tensioner takes up the slack all on one side so it's important to have that taught before checking marks. The Toyota IS NOT an interference engines so you won't damage anything if you wrong.

Old 01-03-04, 04:02 AM
Are you looking at the mark on the cam with a mirror ?