white smoke

Old 01-03-04, 06:31 AM
reddfox
Visiting Guest
white smoke

I have a 1997 Ford F-150 xl with a 4.2 liter engine Every time i first start it there is white smoke that comes out the tail pipes. It only does it for about 5 min then it stops what could it be??? also has a funny smell to it.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-04, 06:47 AM
Bad news

Here's some bad news. That's likely coolant coming out the tailpipe due to something like a bad head gasket or cracked head.
Did you overheat it recently????
Don't lie now.......lol

Old 01-03-04, 07:18 AM
reddfox
Visiting Guest
Truck has never over heated is it possible it is intake manifold gaskets also there is no water in oil

Old 01-03-04, 12:18 PM
Doesnt have to have water in the oil for a head gasket to leak. If it were a manifold gasket leaking into the combustion chamber it would likely be letting some in the oil too. Most times manifold gasket leaks are external and wouldnt be getting in the exhaust, just on it maybe.
Billy

Old 01-03-04, 01:11 PM
There aren't too many places for coolant to get into the combustion chamber. Intake gasket is not real likely for that.

Old 01-03-04, 02:29 PM
reddfox
Visiting Guest
So what are your sugestions should i take it to ford garage or any one. There is no one around that you can trust for miles how do you figure out what the problem is

Old 01-03-04, 03:15 PM
Does the smoke smell sweet?You should be able to find someone near you that has a block tester,a device that tests for combustion gases in the coolant.I suggest you begin there to make sure it's coolant in the exhaust.It may be normal if you live in a cold climate when fuel burns it gives off condensation which produces white smoke also.How much white smoke big cloud?

Old 01-03-04, 04:51 PM
reddfox
Visiting Guest
once the motor warms aprox.3-5 mins it stops that is the only time it does it. First start of the day yesterday i started it went up my drive which is 350 feet long and about 1.5 miles down the road then it stopped i didnt let it warm up because i wanted to see how long it was going to do it. temps have been between 40 at night and 60 in day for a few days now other than that we have been having winter weather in ohio. The smell is odd to me it smells like taking a piece of news paper lighting it then putting it out that kind of smell. I have had a heater core go out and it doesnt smell like that. not sure what burt antifreeze would smell like. I just bought this truck 2 months ago it has not done this until just this past week. I checked coolent it was just a little low i filled it to the line on the over flow i am going to drive it for awhile and see if it drops. I was kind of wondering if it was the converters being burnt inside would that cause that. oh by the way the smoke is snow white and just comes out of both tailpipes.

Old 01-03-04, 04:53 PM
reddfox
Visiting Guest
I am willing to talk to anyone about this via phone please call if you have any ideas xxx-xxx-xxxx please don't post that type of personal info.There may be people who see it that are not well so to speak.Sorry for the edit Davo.

Last edited by davo; 01-04-04 at 05:57 AM.
Old 01-03-04, 07:26 PM
KurtDixon
Visiting Guest
I think this may be normal. It is below -30 celcius here and every vehicle on the road is puffing clouds (big ones too.) of white "smoke" (actually just the water in the exaust freezing when it hits the cold air, like your breath.) Once the engine is warmed up fully, the amount is quite a bit less, but it is still there (and at the temps here, the clouds are still rather large.) When the car is cold, the exaust will smell "exausty" more so than it does in warm weather. Get the car totally warmed up and then see what the exaust smells like, it shouldn't have any really strong odor. But if the clouds are way larger and hang around than you have ever seen with this car, you may be burning coolant. Hard to say.

Old 01-04-04, 04:28 AM
Any of these answers could be right and nobody is going to know for sure without examining the vehicle. The only way your going to know for sure is take it to a reputable shop and let them test some things.

Old 01-04-04, 06:07 AM
Call some shops ask if they have a tool called a block tester.It will say 1 way or another if you are burning coolant.I would think at this point you need head gaskets and or cylinder heads.

Old 01-04-04, 06:15 AM
reddfox
Visiting Guest
can someone contact me thru e-mail [email protected]

Old 01-04-04, 06:36 AM
you have a pm reddfox

Old 01-04-04, 07:34 AM
reddfox
Visiting Guest
what is a pm

Old 01-04-04, 08:18 AM
It's a private message. Click on "user cp" at the top of the page.

Old 01-04-04, 03:58 PM
reddfox
Visiting Guest
thanks

Thanks to all that helped i will take it into shop and get tested

Old 01-27-04, 05:41 AM
reddfox
Visiting Guest
Had motor tested block pressure test was fine. die test was done twice negitive. I am not seeing any smoke now?????????????????????????????