Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Headlight alignment

Visiting Guest

01-03-04, 02:23 PM   #1  
ahzgriff
Headlight alignment

On a 2002 Mitsubishi Galant, How do I align the headlight? the Rt front shines high.

Sponsored Links

WV

01-03-04, 03:27 PM   #2  
The only way to correctly align the headlights on this vehicle is with a headlight aiming device. Any State inspection station, providing the state you live in does inspections, will have an aiming device. You should be able to get it done for a small fee, depending on the time it takes to get it straight.
Hope this helps ya,
Billy

OOPS... I just noticed that you are in Florida. And since Florida doesnt do inspections then forget about what I said earlier... LOL. Call around to a few dealerships and some independent shops to see if they have the aiming device. Desi May be able to give you more info about that type of thing since he is in FLA!

Visiting Guest

01-09-04, 04:55 PM   #3  
ahzgriff
headlight adjustment on 2002 Galant

Took my car to a user friendly body shop and asked "how do I adjust the lights?" He went in the back and when he came out, showed me the 'Adjuster,' there is a bolt ( 1/4 20? hex head) with a "notched" washer on the back of the light assembly. Only one for each light. loosen the bolt and turn the notched washer to adjust the 'up and down' as the whole assembly is molded for straight ahead - assuming the front brace assembly isn't bent. That notched washer "locks" to the plastic rib on the light assembly so loosen it up so you can turn it with out breaking any plastic. I've seen so many people replace their burnt out headlight and not adjust the new beam.

WV

01-10-04, 04:20 AM   #4  
Thats great that the guy showed you how to do it yourself, but if the light is truly out of alignment then you will never get it right without the proper alignment equipment. This car should have a halogen bulb. Did you replace the BULB or the assembly? Unless you put it in crooked there is no reason to adjust alignment when you replace a bulb and then all you have to do is get the bulb in there straight. I have seen these bulbs actually lock in crooked and point skyward.
Billy

Visiting Guest

01-12-04, 07:50 AM   #5  
ahzgriff
headlight assembly

the whole assembly was replaced along with the fender and bumper and hood. the way it was explained to me was only the up and down (assuming the bulb was seated correctly) could be adjusted. the assembly was designed to point straight ahead didn't need adjusting taking in the fact that the front end was not damaged.

WV

01-12-04, 11:52 AM   #6  
Sometimes you get lucky like that. Sounds like it was a pretty easy fix then.
Billy

Visiting Guest

01-13-04, 04:53 PM   #7  
ahzgriff
headlight adjustment

thanks Billy 4 being there. I appreciate your input and expertiece (sp) and help.

Search this Thread