brake dust

Old 01-04-04, 10:59 AM
mellomike1971
Visiting Guest
brake dust

I have a 1996 Camaro and have to replace the brake front brake pads at least every 6 months, i have bought the best made to no avail. How can I stop all the brake dust from getting on rims, its impossible to keep clean, i had the brakes checked out and cant find anything wrong with them.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-04, 11:50 AM
Driving style will greatly effect the life of brake pads, regardless of quality. As long as you arent having any braking problems, ie... noise, pulling, etc... then this is, unfortunately, normal. The brake dust on the wheels can be reduced by installing shields. These are thin sheetmetal "pie plate" looking shields that deflect the brake dust away from the wheels. I had them on my 1992 Camaro RS and they helped alot. When I bought the car in 1996 the front wheels were already slightly faded due to the brake dust. (they were painted inside) Just be real gentle with the shields as they are very easily bent and will make horrendous noise if they contact anything that moves.
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

Old 01-04-04, 12:01 PM
The sheilds work well for keeping dust off but I never liked them because they block all the ventilation and cooling for the rotors. They run too hot that way. Are you getting any normal wear to the rears. You could have a proportioning problem but in all likelyhood Billy is right and you just have to change your driving habits if your wearing pads that fast.

Old 01-04-04, 01:48 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Driving habit is likely the cause. Some people are aggresive brake users. Instead of a gradual slow down, they wait till the last minute. I have never had problems with excessive dust. You are not a left foot brake user are you?