wiper problems

Old 01-05-04, 03:05 PM
wiper problems

I have a 1999 dodge grand caravan sport with a 3.3l engine. The problem I'm having is the front wipers, they stop working all the sudden. the rear wiper works fine. I checked the relay's under the hood by switching them out with the light relay..(is there any other way to check out the relay's) I also checked out the 30 amp fuse with a voltage meter and it was fine..( I replaced it just in case) What troubleshooting can I do to check out the wipers before I take it in for service?...Thanks ( It's been raining alot recently)

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-04, 07:37 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
there's more than meets the eye here. the switch sends a signal to the computer, then the computer actuates the relays (wiper on/off and wiper hi/low relays). whether the wiper motor works after that, is up to the motor.

you might get lucky tapping on the motor when it stops, to see if it will restart. i've seen switches, motors and computers go bad. so without a scan tool, to read certain signals, you would really be guessing

if you want to check for voltage at the motor on the power feed terminals when it stops working, i'll supply those wire colors. this is one thing you could do.

let us know

Old 01-06-04, 06:03 AM
Thanks,....after I posted i replaced the 30amp fused and it still didn't work....Then i was driving around and I had the wipers on and they started to work out of the blue... after i stopped and restarted the van they would not come on for around 30 seconds and then they started working again... once they start working they continue to work until I turn off power to the van...once i restart It takes a few seconds for the wipers to work...any suggestions...Thanks

Old 01-06-04, 07:18 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
not any more advice than i already gave you.

if you EVER had the wipers come on by themself, with the switch off, then you need a switch to fix that. i've replaced plenty of switches for that problem alone.

it's easy to do to, and probably the cheapest part if you're into guessing.