Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

headlight lens

Visiting Guest

01-06-04, 11:17 AM   #1  
bayview
headlight lens

Hey everyone! I have an 87 Merc. Cougar which has headlight lenses which are dull and not clear. I was told that I could make them clear again by rubbing them with 400-600 wet sandpaper. I thought I'd ask if anyone know if this will work, or is there some other way to clear the lens. Every auto salvage place I've gone to has lenses but with the same problem. or would anyone know if I can convert, somehow, to glass, using another make/model of car. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

01-06-04, 01:55 PM   #2  
darrell McCoy
I read someplace where some body shops can restore both these for about 50 bucks, I dont believe it. Ford had a problem as others, only worse with this plastic lens. If you keep the veh, you will end up replacing the assembly's. I do not think you can have any good results with the sandpaper. That milk color is likely there to stay.

01-06-04, 01:58 PM   #3  
The sandpaper may help but you would have to keep stepping up grits to see any real value.Also if they are clouded from the inside there is nothing you can do.

Visiting Guest

01-08-04, 07:27 AM   #4  
bayview
Thanks for the advice.

would anyone know if I can convert, somehow, to glass, using another make/model of car, besides the T-bird, which has a similar headlight assembly. I plan to keep the Cougar since it looks good and runs well. Regular maintainence.

01-08-04, 02:57 PM   #5  
I don't think you will find glass ones to fit your car and swapping from a different car won't work.

Search this Thread