90 dodge...froze?

Old 01-06-04, 09:04 PM
amyqueenbee
Visiting Guest
90 dodge...froze?

ok im back , my dad has a 1990 dodge caravan..it wont start..wind chill was -25 last night and he had 1/4 tank of gas..now this morning he cant get it to start..i said duh..not enough gas it froze. well i put gas in it..put heet in it and it still wont start..however i did notice that the gas gauge has not moved from the gas i put in it..is it frozen line or possible fuel pump prob.? thx

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-04, 10:03 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
gas wouldn't freeze unless you were on the moon. if it were a fuel pump problem, you would have no pressure. did you measure fuel pressure? with a gauge?

it should also have a good strong spark on the plug wires, did you check for spark? on all the wires? how old are the spark plugs? the wires?

it also helps to know which engine you have

let us know what you find

Old 01-07-04, 06:01 AM
up here in the great white north, where it can hit -40 often. The gas doesn't freeze but the condensation in the tank, and then fuel line will. Try some alcohol in tank (gas line antifreeze)

Old 01-07-04, 07:29 PM
amyqueenbee
Visiting Guest
thank you jungle jim...questionesd mb i was going crazy there are products to prevent gas line freeze up and thats what i was getting at. I did put it in last night along with more gas..and low and behold this morning started right up..thank you again!

Old 01-08-04, 02:39 AM
It is NEVER recommemded to add alcohol to a fuel injected car.

Old 01-08-04, 09:35 PM
Glad it worked. Desi....didn't know that....I use PetroCanada gas here and it has gas line anti-freeze in it. I've always added alcohol to my older cars, all fuel injected. By the way.....goin' to almost -50 t'nite. Hard on the cars.

Old 01-09-04, 07:43 AM
Exact same problem with me last night (Jeep Wrangler '87). I already put in drygas... is that the same stuff? And does it need to sit overnight to work itself in?

Old 01-09-04, 08:27 PM
amyqueenbee
Visiting Guest
my understanding it is the same stuff....it took overnight to sit for my dads..probably helps unfreeze all the line...thanks for the help!

Old 01-10-04, 04:11 AM
Alchohol turns water into a burnable substance but it also destroys rubber. I think the make other chemicals to do the job nowadays.