78 chevy van fuel gauge

Old 01-07-04, 01:49 PM
78 chevy van fuel gauge

Hi,

The gas gauge on my '78 chevy van is suddelny pegged at Full, and it's not because I just filled it up, it's stuck there.

I've poked around and can't see anything, which means (I think) that I'll have to drop the gas tank; I'll probably do that this weekend.

If anyone can take a moment to give me a quick rundown on how it works, it would be greatly appreciated. I've always worked on my own cars and know enough to be cautious. A little info up front might save me some time. I have 2 service manuals and they're both useless as far as this goes.

Thanks in Advance,

-Steve G

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-04, 06:17 PM
If you can, run the tank as low as possible before you begin. This will make life much easier especially if you do not have access to a lift. There should only be 2 straps holding the tank to the body. Remove the filler hose and the vent hose. Be careful with the electrical connectors and supply lines as they are not long enough to allow the tank to be lowered very far before you disconnect them. Before you disconnect too much I would try to check the sender by disconnecting it and see if the gage goes to empty as it should. The sender is in the tank hence the reason you are taking it out.
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

Old 01-07-04, 06:20 PM
Do what Billy advises but start with disconnecting the plug to see if it goes to empty with the key on before you start yanking the tank. It's always possible the problem is in the dash unit.

Old 01-07-04, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I've been looking for a wire to pull off to see if it goes to empty, and don't see one anywhere, except on top, and I need a mirror to see it at all. That's why I figured that the tank has to come down. I had thought that I'd put a piece of plywood on a floor jack to help ease it down (after running it low on fuel, which will be tricky w/o a gas gauge). I'm sorta using the odometer as a gas gauge temporarily.

Thanks again,

-Steve G

Old 01-07-04, 06:42 PM
Sounds like you are on the right track. I figure that the tank will have to at least come down a bit just to get you in there to disconnect the sender.
Billy

Old 01-07-04, 08:38 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
maybe take your lawnmower 2 gallon gas tank, fill it and drive with it in the the back. when the van starts sputtering or runs out, just add the 2 gallons to get home, then it will make the tank drop that much easier.

an empty tank makes life so much easier and safer. don't use a droplight anywhere near this thing when you do work on it.