Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Automotive wiring

Visiting Guest

01-07-04, 06:43 PM   #1  
Trumby
Automotive wiring

Hi
I would like to know if somebody can tell me how to wire driving lights into a 1983 MQ Nissan Patrol 4WD. Local laws require that the lights be isolated from the headlights. I have the set of lights and the 'Bullbar brackets".

I suppose that not many vehicles have driving lights however they are a necessity when driving at night in the Australian 'Outback'.

Kind Regards
Trumby

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

01-07-04, 08:48 PM   #2  
mike from nj
are you talking about big monster lights, to light up for a few hundred feet or so?

run a wire right off the battery, to a fuse, then through a relay, then to the lights.

run another wire off the same power feed, after the fuse for the relay's 'control' circuit, run the relay's ground wire inside the car and put a small switch on the dash, to make that wire ground and actuate the relay.

read the amperage rating of the lights, go 20% higher and get the appropriate wire size, fuse, and relay to safely handle the current for those lights.

if you have more questions---ask away. relays are very easy and reliable to wire up.

Search this Thread