Priming new motor

Old 01-08-04, 06:57 PM
Negoshe8n
Visiting Guest
Priming new motor

I have just installed a new 4.3 motor. Should I crank it without the plugs in or with them in to get the oil through out the motor? Will it really matter? Of course I'm not going to just start it right up without priming the oil. Anything else I need to know before I start it for the first time?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-04, 03:58 AM
Although it's always nice to prime up oil pressure for the first start on a new engine, I rarely do. All reman engines are assembled with assembly lube on everything. It is far from being dry at start-up. As long as a lightweight oil is being used, you usually have oil pressure in 3-5 seconds which won't really do any harm. I would definately watch for pressure and shut down if it's not there immediatly.

Old 01-09-04, 08:46 AM
rocketir
Visiting Guest
Don't certain types of cams need to be broken in. Like revved at 3K for 30 minutes?

Old 01-09-04, 09:21 AM
Negoshe8n
Visiting Guest
It's been sitting for about 6 months.

Old 01-09-04, 10:51 AM
port649
Visiting Guest
I would pull the efi fuse and crank it to get oil pressure. It wont start and will only crank at 300 rpm.

Old 01-09-04, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by rocketir
Don't certain types of cams need to be broken in. Like revved at 3K for 30 minutes?
Yes, that should be done on a fresh rebuild.

Originally posted by Port649
I would pull the efi fuse and crank it to get oil pressure. It wont start and will only crank at 300 rpm.
I would expect you'd take more life off the starter that way than the engine if you didn't. Maybe be a good idea to remove the plugs to do that.

Old 01-09-04, 05:18 PM
Negoshe8n
Visiting Guest
So I can just leave the plugs in and pull the fuse. That is what I was going to do. Just was wondering about pulling the plugs for less compresison on the motor. Thanks

Old 01-09-04, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Negoshe8n
Just was wondering about pulling the plugs for less compresison on the motor. Thanks
That would be a lot less wear and tear on the starter and the battery. It will also spin faster and build pressure quicker.

Old 01-09-04, 11:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can prime it by spinning the oil pump drive shaft through with a drill, before you install the distributor. Just chuck a long flathead screwdriver in the drill and turn it the direction of distributor rotation. You'll probably hear the difference in drill speed when you get pressure built up. This way you don't have to spin the engine over, or run the starter. Personally, I wouldn't even worry about it...it will have pressure in seconds when you start it if everything is right.

Old 01-10-04, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by cheese
Personally, I wouldn't even worry about it...it will have pressure in seconds when you start it if everything is right.
Exactly what I said. It's not that important. Just watch the gauge.