Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

radiator replacement

Visiting Guest

01-09-04, 08:10 AM   #1  
jfluet
radiator replacement

Does anyone know how difficult it is to replace the radiator on a 2000 Land Rover Discovery II ? Are any special tools required ?
The dealer wants $300 to remove and replace and I think that is just to much !

Sponsored Links

WV

01-09-04, 09:59 AM   #2  
Thats probably about right since the dealers labor price is probably quite inflated compared to the independent shop or most other dealers. In my area the Land Rover dealer get $90 per hour so based on that you are looking at maybe a little over 3 hours to R&R. Is this price including the radiator or just labor?
Billy

Visiting Guest

01-09-04, 10:26 AM   #3  
port649
I havent worked on a rover but I would assume if you have enough room you should be able to do it. The only problem is corrosion, yo may get into a jam if it has sensors mounted on it or an electric fan to remove. Have the dealer replace it may save a lot of hair pulling. it sounds like a fair price. Remember it is a rover!

D.P.

Visiting Guest

01-09-04, 01:57 PM   #4  
darrell McCoy
Dealers get about 70 an hour here. If you are fairly mechanically inclined I dont forsee any problems for a DIY. You need some metric and a few standard tools. Take off anything that may be in the way, hoses, over flow tank hose, shroud, oil or trans cooler lines if applicable and fan if it is electric. Drain coolant first of course. It probably has a non-metalic upper and lower tank. "Take your time and remember where stuff goes." Take care as not to damage the replacement. Handle with care. Especially if it has an A/C cond in front of the radiator. If it is not an elec coolant fan system, watch the fan blades so you do not damage the radiator. Again, just go slow with the procedure.

01-09-04, 02:18 PM   #5  
I agree with darrell.But some transmission lines require special tools to release them but I don't know if you need one on your vehicle.

Visiting Guest

01-09-04, 07:41 PM   #6  
mike from nj
some radiators in certain cars are also attached to the a/c condensor, and the a/c system must be discharged to get them both out as an assembly. sometimes, there is also an auxillary trans cooler, p/s cooler, or even an engine oil cooler in the mix. sometimes a certain amount of sheet metal body parts have to come out too.

it's tough to say having never seen one or worked on one.

i'm sure it LOOKS easy though.

WV

01-10-04, 12:12 PM   #7  
Alldata calls out 3 hours, as I previously thought, to R&R the radiator. Depending on the dealers labor price this estimate is quite on track.
The radiator itself from the dealer is $369.00
Part number:
PCC107830
PCC000710 to vin# A707661
Hope this helps ya,
Billy

Visiting Guest

01-12-04, 10:40 AM   #8  
jfluet
Thanks to all !
It was an easy job !

Search this Thread