Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

gas tank

01-09-04, 09:57 AM   #1  
gas tank

When runnig with a very low amount of gas in the tank I sometimes stumble. Since I have replaced everything in the fuel system I imagine that I have either dirt in the tank or the sock is blocked. While in Mexico where labor is dirt cheap I would like to drop the tank and clean it out. Can somone tell me what would be the best way to do this. Gracias

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

01-09-04, 10:43 AM   #2  
port649
I bet that since there is a low amount of fuel in the tank you are plain and simply be "running out of fuel". Due to the design and the fact that the fuel sloshes when driving, you will never be able to get all of the fuel out of the tank. The pick up is usualy about 1\2 to 1" away from the bottom of the tank. If you lower the pickup you run the risk of having contaminats running through the fuel system, poss. damaging/plugging the injectors. So just keep it above 1/4 tank.

Visiting Guest

01-09-04, 01:48 PM   #3  
darrell McCoy
Not only that, if your pump is in the tank, keep it at least 1/4 of gas. Elec pumps depend on fuel for cooling.

01-09-04, 04:53 PM   #4  
Re: gas tank

Originally posted by easywind
When runnig with a very low amount of gas in the tank I sometimes stumble.
What's the matter? Does fuel cost too much too? When I used to tell my doctor that it hurt when I do this and that, he responded "don't do that". Keep more fuel in the tank and you'll have less problems.

01-10-04, 11:28 AM   #5  
Sorry I forgot to post what my vehicle is. 85 Dodge B 150 van, 318, carburated, mechanical fuel pump outside the tank, I still would like to drop the tank and clean everything out properly whule I can have the tank dropped and cleaned for under 20 dollars but I want to do it right so Im still looking for suggestions and help.

Search this Thread