1992 Rodeo idle problems

Old 01-10-04, 01:08 AM
SteelPanther
Visiting Guest
1992 Rodeo idle problems

Hi all. 1992 isuzu Rodeo 3.1 V6 4x4. Auto tranny.

The other day i was at the gas station and i left the truck run while I went inside as it is about 10 degrees out as of late. I came back out of the gas station and it was idling roughly. I decided to drive it home quickly because I didnt know what was going on. Ive put in new plugs and wires just yesterday, didnt help anything. The situation is at idle it goes down to roughly 100-300 rpm and almost shuts down at times. When i get in and accelerate it runs smooth and fine. Just when sitting at an idle it runs very rough. But soon as u apply some pedal she runs great!

Thanks again! You all have been a great help in the past.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-04, 04:06 AM
Did you fuel with it running? Did your check engine light come on? Could be related, could be coincindence. Check for vacuum leaks. You may have knocked something almost loose when you did the plugs and wires and it came all the way off during the course of driving. Or did you do the plugs and wires AFTER?
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

Old 01-10-04, 11:09 AM
SteelPanther
Visiting Guest
Hey Billy,

No on the check engine light.

No on fueling it while it was running.

I just changed the plugs and wires last night. This was after the problem occurred.

Nothing else abnormal that I can think of it just started running like crap all of a sudden.

Will check the vacuum situation.

Old 01-10-04, 12:54 PM
If I remember correctly that thing has an electronic EGR valve, a GM part. I cant remember, did you check that previously? it may be leaking on you and thats why it runs ok when the RPMs are up. I had a Saturn the other day in the shop that was doing the same thing. When I unplugged the EGR it would smooth out.
Maybe something to think about and check!
Billy

Old 01-10-04, 06:42 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
billy, not a true electronic egr valve, it's a vacuum one, but it is computer controlled by the little black box next to it(under the air filter) unplugging the vac hose will disable it, unless it's physically stuck open (possible)

i would first be looking for a vacuum hose off or broken, especially the pcv hose. you might try removing and cleaning the iac motor, it should just unscrew out of the front of the throttle body.

the GM guys here can maybe help out a little, this is your average 3.1 TBI identical to the ones in the s10, s15, or whatever RWD had this engine back then.

it won't run good with the MAP sensor unplugged, this sensor is snapped onto the air filter housing, and might have gotten disturbed during the tune-up. it needs the vacuum line intact too.

let us know what you find

(maybe you got some crud pumped into your tank??)

Old 01-10-04, 11:08 PM
SteelPanther
Visiting Guest
I unplugge the EGR nothing really changed there. Checked all vacuum lines against the diagram all seem to be correctly placed and not broken or disconnected. Also I checked the plug that went to the side fo the air filter that was connected tight as well. Im almost guessing I got ice in the tank or something as I was at a little under a 1/4 tank and it was only maybe 15 degrees that day. Im gonna try using some HEAT and see if that helps a bit. But on the other notes everything seems to be hooked up where it needs to be.

I did note though that on the charcoal canister the purge line opening has no hose? Is ther eone needed there?

Old 01-11-04, 05:10 AM
There should be 2 lines going into the evap canister and a vent. If so, then its ok. If there is only 1 line and a vent and nowhere else to hook a hose then it is a 1 line configuration and you are ok as well. If there is more than 1 place that it looks like a hose goes then you may have found your vacuum leak.
Billy

Old 01-11-04, 11:57 AM
SteelPanther
Visiting Guest
Thanks Billy there is only one open spot for the purge line.