Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1999 Dodge Dakota 3.9

01-10-04, 08:13 AM   #1  
1999 Dodge Dakota 3.9

I have a 1999 Dodge Dakota 3.9 engine 5 speed standard trans. 4wd 125000 miles. Have developed a miss. Changed plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor, has not helped. Doesn't miss when first starts cold, misses after it gets warmed up. If I shut it off and restart a time or two it runs fine with the check light on. The check engine light does not come on with the cold start. The light sometimes will go out after restarting and driving for awhile.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Jim

Sponsored Links

WV

01-10-04, 01:25 PM   #2  
Get the light checked.... Post back with whatever codes come up.
Billy

Visiting Guest

01-10-04, 06:48 PM   #3  
mike from nj
if the light is on, you have a code. the stored codes will definitely point you in a good direction, and should be the starting point. some major "chain" repair stores will retreive the codes for free.

also look down the throttle body (engine off) and see with a good flashlight if any motor oil is pooled up under there.

let us know

01-20-04, 06:09 PM   #4  
Had code read, possible crankshaft sensor, camshaft sensor, PCM.
Intermittent problem, four days later and a few hundred dollars it was determined to be the crankshaft sensor. It was replaced and it seems to run fine now. I hope that is the cure.

Thanks Jim

Visiting Guest

01-20-04, 09:58 PM   #5  
mike from nj
well, glad to hear it's fixed. even though that wouldn't be my first guess. (that sensor)

Search this Thread