Ranger Heater

Old 01-10-04, 12:16 PM
Ranger Heater

I have a 96 Ford Ranger. 4 cyl. 5 speed. 120K. Problem is very little heat from heater. Checked temp. control cable behind unit and it is moving when changed from cold to heat. Checked hoses going to heater core. Both hoses cool to touch after 15 min of idle. Could not locate vacuum hose to heater/by-pass valve or the valve itself near firewall as stated in another post. Also the temp gauge on dash stays pegged at cold. My next move I think is the thermostat. Any other suggestions?? Thanx
Bill from Ohio

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-04, 01:11 PM
15 minutes may not be long enough to properly diagnose, but if BOTH hoses are cool to the touch then its most likely your thermostat stuck open. If only one is cool then its probably the heater core is stopped up. The heater coltrol valve is black plastic and has 4 hoses running to it. It is on the right side (passenger) right beside the heater box and A/C reciever/dryer (canister). Follow the hoses from where they go to the engine and firewall and you will find the valve. It has a single vacuum line on it. Watch it while someone else changes the heater controls.
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

Old 01-10-04, 02:06 PM
I think the clue here is the stuck on cold. If while the temp is on"C" the upper rad hose is getting warm the T-stat is stuck open.

Replace it with an OEM they usually work better than the parts store ones.