oil leak

Old 01-10-04, 12:41 PM
advantagegeorge
Visiting Guest
Angry oil leak

HELP ! HAVE A 1992 LINCOLN TOWNCAR- 4.6 ENGINE- 317,700 MILES DON'T LAUGH IT'S THE ORIGINAL ENGINE AND THIS IS MY ONLY LEAK! LEAK SEEMS TO BE COMING FROM WHERE THE OIL FILTER HOUSING MATES TO THE BLOCK!!! WILL ONLY LEAK WHEN ENGINE IS COLD,FIRST STARTED. WILL MAKE A PUDDLE, I WIPE ALL SURFACES AND WAIT TO PINPOINT IT BUT NO MORE LEAKAGE!!! HAVE OBSERVED THE AREA FOR MORE THAN A HALF HOUR ON MULTIPLE OCCASIONS. ONLY ONE BOLT SEEMS TO HOLD THIS TO THE BLOCK, IS THERE A GASKET THERE THAT MAY BE LEAKING? WHAT WILL BE NECESSARY FOR ME TO FIX THIS?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-04, 01:03 PM
I seem to remember someone else posting a question like this recently. I remember someone saying that there is a gasket or O-ring behind that housing that will tend to leak sometimes. I have never worked on one of these but I hear its quite a pain to get to.
Other than access, I think there is 3 bolts holding it on. I remember suspension stuff maybe in the way from doing oil changes on these vehicles. Turn the wheel to gain access to remove the oil filter. Other than that it shouldnt be too bad to do.
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

Old 01-11-04, 08:12 AM
advantagegeorge
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by billys68ss
I seem to remember someone else posting a question like this recently. I remember someone saying that there is a gasket or O-ring behind that housing that will tend to leak sometimes. I have never worked on one of these but I hear its quite a pain to get to.
Other than access, I think there is 3 bolts holding it on. I remember suspension stuff maybe in the way from doing oil changes on these vehicles. Turn the wheel to gain access to remove the oil filter. Other than that it shouldnt be too bad to do.
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

Old 01-11-04, 08:16 AM
advantagegeorge
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by advantagegeorge
Thanks for the quick reply. You're correct about the suspension, but I only see one bolt. The others are possibly hidden from view. Will get back to you hopefully with good news. Thanks again...advantagegeorge