installing a chrome shifter

Old 01-10-04, 02:51 PM
ridelikehell
Visiting Guest
installing a chrome shifter

I've got a chrome shifter for my 1990 5.0 mustang...I know the shifter just gets pushed into the hole, but shouldn't I be using some kind of a sealant around the hole? it seems like it would leak like a siv if I don't use something to seal it up...

any sugesstions?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-04, 03:23 PM
Need more information here. What kind of trans? What type of shifter are you using? What do you mean "pushed into the hole"?
Billy

Old 01-10-04, 03:53 PM
ridelikehell
Visiting Guest
holy god I must be drunk honestly...i don't even know where the hell I came up with shifter...LoL don't I feel stupid.

I meant to say dipstick...

LoL too funny

Old 01-10-04, 04:08 PM
ROFL..... Thanks for the laugh. The dipstick should have a seal around the top near the handle where it goes in the tube. Make sure it is the same length and the marks are all in the same place and you should be good to go.
Billy

Old 01-10-04, 10:12 PM
Most 5.0 chrome dipsticks are sold as a "Dipstick & Tube Kit"
I have not seen one that wasn't
The "Tube" does need a bead of RTV around it near, (underneath), the bulge in the tube - the stock tube needs a new coat too (remove old goo) if it is removed for any reason (including headers)
Just the dipstick itself doesn't need anything
Well, as long as it has that seal around the handle, it doesn't
lol

Old 01-10-04, 10:20 PM
ridelikehell
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by slickshift
Most 5.0 chrome dipsticks are sold as a "Dipstick & Tube Kit"
I have not seen one that wasn't
The "Tube" does need a bead of RTV around it near, (underneath), the bulge in the tube - the stock tube needs a new coat too (remove old goo) if it is removed for any reason (including headers)
Just the dipstick itself doesn't need anything
Well, as long as it has that seal around the handle, it doesn't
lol
excellent thats what I was thinking just wanted to make sure...yeah it's a dipstick and tube kit...i guess i was just too drunk to mention that as well...i figured i'd try to confuse everyone instead of making my question clear...

thanks for the help everyone...I'm off to install my shifter!....ugh, i mean dipstick...i mean, tube....ah hell who cares.