Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

timing

Visiting Guest

01-11-04, 06:48 AM   #1  
ray & kar
timing

I have a 1988 Ford Ranger, 2.3 ltr 4 cyl. engine. When doing the timing, what 2 wires does the shorting bar shortout on the ignition modual?
Thanks,
Ray

Sponsored Links

01-11-04, 07:03 AM   #2  
I think there is a pigtail coming off the distributor that has a shunt in it that you remove to set the timing. I don't remember when it started but make sure that engine doesn't use a crank sensor. Turning the distributor on those will only take the injectors out of synch.

Visiting Guest

01-11-04, 10:46 AM   #3  
ray & kar
timing

Thanks - I'll check it out.
I found a connector coming off the harness that feeds the distributer. Looks like the one in the book but the shorting bar is missing. Local auto supply stores don't carry it so I'll try a dealer on Monday. What confuses me alittle is that the color code on the wires going to this open connector are a different color than the ones in the schmatic in the Hanes book.
Thanks again. Any more more help would be appreciated.
PS there is no crank shafter positioning sensor on this engine.
Ray

01-11-04, 12:21 PM   #4  
Re: timing

Originally posted by ray & kar
Thanks - I'll check it out.
I found a connector coming off the harness that feeds the distributer. Looks like the one in the book but the shorting bar is missing.
That sounds like the retart shunt. There is another one in there that is designed to retard the timing if your having a pinging problem. That one stays out. That's not the one your looking for. The one your looking for runs normally with the shunt in and is removed only to take the computer out of the loop in order to set timing.

Visiting Guest

01-11-04, 02:29 PM   #5  
ray & kar
Thanks. I'm going to have a look again.
Ray

Search this Thread