Cold Bolts

Old 01-11-04, 10:36 AM
slvrnmph
Visiting Guest
Cold Bolts

I was trying to remove my starter, but I couldn't get a single bolt on it to budge. (Yes, I disconnected the battery first) We have snow, so I'm guessing that the batteries may just be frozen in place. Any ideas on how I might be able to warm them up or something so I can get them to turn? I need to get this replaced ASAP, and if I take it to a mechanic it will triple the cost of replacing the starter. I can get to the starter just fine, put the wratchet over the bolt and push and pull to my hearts delight and nothing happens. I tried spraying some WD-40 on the bolts, but it didn't make a difference.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-04, 11:24 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Thats where an impact would come in handy. Get a bigger wrench, if you have room, get a long box end and tap it with a hammer. Sounds like they may have been over torqued.

Old 01-11-04, 12:18 PM
That's why mechanics make the "big bucks" lol

Old 01-11-04, 12:25 PM
slvrnmph
Visiting Guest
I've never claimed to have much upper arm strength, but I've never had a problem removing bolts before. I went from "o.k. $40 to replace the starter, after the core refund." Then, I start checking prices with mechanics and all of a sudden it could cost me $300 to replace it. I just hope the wrench and hammer trick works.

Old 01-11-04, 12:29 PM
Have a couple of band-aids handy also.

Old 01-11-04, 12:57 PM
You may be able to take another wrench and place it in the open end of the other wrench for leverage or a short section of pipe if using a ratchet.Also if you can pull the wrench do that instead of pushing.Just remember righty tighty lefty loosey.You could also apply some heat where the bolts enter the block(don't heat the bolts)just don't get carried away,a propane torch will work.

Old 01-11-04, 02:21 PM
cold?

To save yor hands wear some gloves to break them loose I know when it is cold even a small bump stings.

Old 01-11-04, 02:38 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
If you are using a 3/8" drive, try a good 1/2" drive. Preferably a 6 point socket. May keep from rounding the bolt heads off. All else fails, get a breaker bar. I never saw starter bolts that tight.

Old 01-12-04, 04:34 AM
I have seen starter bolts that tight before and recently I might add. They were so tight I split a Craftsman socket in half. I put my 1/2 inch impact on it, as much as I hated to do that but it worked. Especially if they are hard to get to.
Billy