1995 Grand Am Head Gasket - how much?

Old 01-12-04, 08:58 AM
Drewvet
Visiting Guest
Unhappy 1995 Grand Am Head Gasket - how much?

Need some insight. I have a 1995 Pontiac Grand Am SE 3.1 litre V-6. Located in Detroit. Price quote on head gasket was $1,200 and for intake gasket $500...does this quote sound in line? Regardless, I'm going for the second opinion today...only 81,000 on it, rest of the car is great! Worth it? Thanks for the thoughts!

Old 01-12-04, 10:22 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
All time/labor consuming. I dont know about the head, but dealers get 480-500 bucks for an intake.1000- 1200$ Sounds about right tho on the head gasket.

Old 01-12-04, 01:37 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Price sounds about average to low to me.Did anyone test the cooling system for the presence of combustion gases?If you are getting coolant in the oil it could be the intake only which is much more common on those engines.Are you blowing big clouds of white smoke out the tailpipe?

Old 01-12-04, 06:04 PM
Salmonslammer I
Visiting Guest
Go out to the local party shop and get yourself a trade n times newspaper. There is an ad somewhere in the auto section ( try parts) for a company and all they do is head gaskets. An old friend of mine had his buick done there for about 4 bills. The company is downriver someplace...Don't remember the name. Worth a shot.

Old 01-13-04, 07:14 AM
Drewvet
Visiting Guest
1995 Grand Am head/intake gasket

Thanks to all who responded! The mechanic this morning said "they've done all they can do w/o starting to tear into the engine to see if it is indeed the intake gasket (of which he also said is very common on these engines v. the head gasket...he's leaning towards intake). I don't know if he sniffed the coolant for gases, etc.
Said all in all about $550, though I am going to do the second estimate today.
As for smoke, only the normal amount upon Michigan winter start up...beyond that runs clean...could be a seepage in the gasket?
Thanks for the Tradin Times heads-up. Will pursue.
Regardless, I'll let you know about the second estimate and repairs. I appreciate all the feedback!

Old 01-13-04, 09:19 AM
What is the actual concern? Loss of coolant?
Billy

Old 01-13-04, 11:05 AM
Drewvet
Visiting Guest
Loss of coolant, plus a 3/4 to one quart rise in oil dipstick level. The oil (which is near its 3,000 mile change mark) has sort of the blown gasket light brown milkshake color, but w/o the bubbling. Oil always stayed black before even at oil change time...Now it looks like like light brown, dirty oil, but no real coolant smell or feel. Coolant overflow was empty to point that lo coolant light came on...but no white smoke screen and no rise in temp gauge. My biggest concern though is the pretty hefty rise in the oil level and color. Any other input would be appreciated before the major surgery of the 3.1 L and the major surgery on my checkbook! thanks!

Old 01-13-04, 04:20 PM
D
Stop driving the car now and have the intake gaskets replaced before you cook the engine bearings.Coolant is not a good lubricant for the bearings,crank and rods.You may be ok if you get it repaired asap.I would still have the coolant checked for combustion gases but you most likely just need intake gaskets.

Old 01-13-04, 04:25 PM
M
good advice

Good advice do not drive the car any more it is hard down oil and coolant do not mix and will destroy a fixable engine quick.

Old 01-14-04, 06:28 AM
Drewvet
Visiting Guest
The same response from the mechanic this morning...no driving. He said no compression in the radiator and the crankcase is full of coolant. He really believes its the intake gasket.
One more ask...6 hours sound right to replace the gaskets, valve cover gasket, oil change/filter, antifreeze for approx. $500-$550? thanks for the feedback!

Old 01-14-04, 07:02 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Sounds like a real decent price to me.

Old 01-14-04, 02:17 PM
D
I usually get 6 to 7 1/2 hours depending on the optional equipment and how dirty it is and needs cleaned so I don't look like a fly by night.When you get one back from me you can tell I've been there because I clean all the crap off the parts.

Old 01-19-04, 08:52 AM
Drewvet
Visiting Guest
Job completed for $537. Car running well this morning. Indeed it was the intake gasket. Here's hoping it's the last thing until spring!
Thanks to all the moderators and members who put their two cents into my $537 and no cents project! This is indeed a great forum!

Old 01-19-04, 09:50 AM
D
Glad it's fixed and who knows maybe it will go way past spring.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: