1988 Mercury Sable Brake Shoe adj screw

Old 01-12-04, 03:18 PM
nty
Visiting Guest
1988 Mercury Sable Brake Shoe adj screw

Hi,

The adjuster screw for the brake shoe has a stamped letter "L" on one end which next to the auto self adjuster plate. I am confused should I install the screw with the Letter "L" facing upward and toward the brake shoe cynlinder? Please advise.
I know this is critical for the self adjusting function, and hope to do it right.

Thanks!

Old 01-12-04, 04:33 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Re: 1988 Mercury Sable Brake Shoe adj screw

Originally posted by nty
Hi,

The adjuster screw for the brake shoe has a stamped letter "L" on one end which next to the auto self adjuster plate. I am confused should I install the screw with the Letter "L" facing upward and toward the brake shoe cynlinder? Please advise.
I know this is critical for the self adjusting function, and hope to do it right.

Thanks!
No, just use it on the left side of the car.
The adjuster wheel always goes on the same side as the adjuster lever.

Old 01-12-04, 04:36 PM
The L means LEFT as the left side of the car. The adjuster will have notches in it that will coincide with the other components. have you taken both sides apart? If not then take a look at the other side and it will give you an idea of which way to put it in.
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

Old 01-13-04, 09:11 AM
nty
Visiting Guest
Hi billys68ss and Desi501,

Thanks for the advise and instructions. One more question, there are two notches at one end with stamped letter "L", one is deeper than the other. Which notch should coincide with the adjuster plate?

Thanks again!

Old 01-13-04, 09:14 AM
The deeper notch will contact the emergency brake lever and the shallow notch will contact the shoe itself. That is what I meant by the notches will tell you how it goes.
Billy

Old 01-13-04, 09:27 AM
nty
Visiting Guest
Hi Billy,

Got it!

Thank you so much and best regards!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: