Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Automotive repair

Visiting Guest

01-12-04, 05:18 PM   #1  
Martin Woodhall
Automotive repair

Is it possible to replace the front crankshaft seal on a Mitsubishi 4D55 Engine (Delica Van) without removing engine from vehicle? And please, what is the best way to remove the crankshaft pulley?

Sponsored Links

01-13-04, 12:05 AM   #2  
Hi Martin

Welcome to DIY

Not really sure about your Mitsu, We don't have that model here.

Does it have a T-Belt?

To remove the bolt try using an impact wrench. If that not a possibility check the rotation of the crankshaft with the starter. Jam a breaker bar and socket against the frame so that when the starter turns it will loosen the bolt.

CAUTION: DISABLE THE SPARK TO PREVENT THE ENGINE FROM STARTING, ALSO KEEP YOU HANDS AWAY. PERFORM AT YOUR OWN RISK.

As far as the pulley some times they will come off using two pry bars. Hint: spray the pulley and shaft with a rust penetrant after the bolt is removed, use a big hammer and hit the pulley like your tring to seat it on. Sometimes after that you can just grab it and pull it off by hand.

Or you may need to use a crankshaft puller.

Visiting Guest

01-13-04, 02:51 PM   #3  
Martin Woodhall
Thanks Larry,
Thanks for the prompt reply. It appears thatonce I get the timing belt and countershaft belt off I can remove the seal carrier plate. I'm about to work on that crankshaft nut.
Cheers
Martin

Search this Thread