Help with Buying a used Dodge 1500

Old 01-13-04, 06:40 PM
Help with Buying a used Dodge 1500

Yes I am thinking of buying a used 1996 Dodge 1500 with a 318 automatic 2 wheel drive, the truck has 96,000 miles on it and the body looks good and the dealer showed me a carfax and the truck has not had any problems as far as wrecks or any major problems. I was told by the dealer that the truck was bought and serviced there and so the question is, if the truck was taken care of and when I get it I take care of it with maintenance and oil changes do you think this truck will last many more miles. I will be paying almost $6000 for it and don't won't to be paying out more for problems, I know that is chance you take with buying used, but is this a good truck dodge with a 318, what could I look for before buying it to see if anything is wrong or do? Thanks for any help with buying this.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-04, 11:46 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
first, try www.KBB.com and see what the truck is really worth

second, a salesman will tell you straight to your face that the earth is flat and the moon is made out of green cheese to sell you a car. for him, no sale=no paycheck.

if it was actually bought there, have them enter the VIN# into the service department computer and see the actual maintenance history. it should at least show you the last 2 years minimum. if there's no history, you know the answer to your question. you want to see trans and rear axle fluids done at 30, 60 and 90,000 miles, and the engine oil changes from 3-5000 miles minimum.

with proper maintenance, the truck will easily go to 200,000 miles. with sparse maintenance, it will have problems and quickly.

i would never base a purchase on a 'clean' carfax report.

the 318 has been used since 1967, and earlier in different displacements. it's as reliable as any old detroit iron.

96,000 miles can be easy 'highway' miles, or it could be towing a big trailer 'hard miles'. the engine might be used up, or it could be just broken in.

the best thing to do, is have a third party do a complete inspection of the vehicle. one who isn't influenced by the sale.

Old 01-14-04, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by mike from nj
the best thing to do, is have a third party do a complete inspection of the vehicle. one who isn't influenced by the sale.
Very good advice, especially this part.

Old 01-15-04, 07:30 PM
A little more help here about buying the Dodge 1500, a friend of mine that drives by the dealership said this truck had been there for a while, so I asked them how long they have had it and they said since November. Reason being it is only a 2 wheel drive and where we live in Virginia in the Mountains, you don't see to many 2 wheel drive trucks. Would it matter sitting that long anything else to check since sitting that long? Thanks and by the way I called a local garage and they are going to check it for me, but I do get some great advice on here too.

Search this Thread