Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Transfer case

Visiting Guest

01-13-04, 07:56 PM   #1  
dennist 1
Transfer case

I got a 98 ZR2 S-10 recently after I engage the push button 4by4 button and hit the gas i get a loud noise coming out of the transfer case. I recently pulled the drain plug from it and with my pinky I can actually feel a part loose in there. Any one know what that could be ??And When im turning the d shaft from the front differential I also hear that same noise in the transfer case. So I know the problem is in that. thanks

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

01-13-04, 11:52 PM   #2  
mercdrive
drian plug?

do you have the oil changed or do you do it?
do they check the differentails and transfer case?
if you pulled the drian plug you should have had a big mess
My new wife always took her 2000 durango (60,000 mi) to the oil change places and they where supposed to check all the fliuds including those formentioned but they where low as well as the power steering (empty) coolant very low and none of them leak still after another 7,000 miles probaly low from the dealership!!
when new. I work on boats I see so many 5-10 year old boats that where never preped right or properly maintaned as paid for some never after a few tuneups have ever had the timing set right the factory does a static non running close guess then paints engine not hard to tell when its way off and the paints never been cracked I know there are alot of good dealerships and service places out there but make sure all these things are getting done

Visiting Guest

01-14-04, 12:09 AM   #3  
dennist 1
Hey mercdrive well to tell you the truth I did totally slack on the tranfers case and the front diff. The truck sat alot and I didnt use the 4 wheel dr much. its sad cause it still looks brand new. I always checked everything else though. and there really wasnt alot of oil coming out of that case so I possibly could have had a leak there or it was never topped off properly . I'll let you know what the dealer says when they look at it thanks for the input .

Visiting Guest

01-14-04, 12:22 AM   #4  
mercdrive
I wasnt trying to get on your case everything should be ok as long as there isnt a visable leak I just get tired of techs not doing what is right good luck u can pm me anytime let me know what they say, Jeff

01-14-04, 03:57 AM   #5  
Originally posted by mercdrive
I wasnt trying to get on your case everything should be ok as long as there isnt a visable leak I just get tired of techs not doing what is right
This is not the place to be badmouthing techs.

Visiting Guest

01-14-04, 08:01 AM   #6  
mercdrive
Originally posted by Desi501

This is not the place to be badmouthing techs.

I am one desi my point was that alot of them give us a bad name
places like this can help people make sure they find a good one and get things done right at a resonable price

sorry about that not trying to get on anyones case!!

Jeff

01-14-04, 02:03 PM   #7  
The only way I can see how you will know is to pull it out and disassemble it.On some t-cases a small circlip pops out of it's groove and won't allow the shift fork to engage the gears properly.If nothing else is damaged I just install a new clip.A service manual would be advised(GM preferred)even though t-cases are fairly easy in my opinion.

Search this Thread