94 3000gt nonturbo auto tranny problem

Old 01-14-04, 10:39 AM
Negoshe8n
Visiting Guest
94 3000gt nonturbo auto tranny problem

I have a 94 SL with just about 100K on it. How many quarts are in an auto tranny? The car shutters if I'm putting a load on the transmission. If goes away if I give it more gas and it downshifts. It's like keeping a stick in to high of a gear. You know how a car will shudder until you downshift.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-04, 09:52 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
how well has it been maintained, bad spark plugs and wires that are just starting to go bad, usually show up under the conditions you described.

if there is absolutely no misfire, then it might be a torque converter shuddering(while it's locked up), making it downshift will make it unlock and make the problem go away temporarily.

try tapping the brake pedal with your left foot(just enough to turn on the brake light) while holding steady gas with your right foot. see if this makes a difference.

the trans holds a lot of fluid, (and is real heavy too) it depends on what you are doing, a rebuild or a trans drain and refill. i don't know the exact answer, what i do is add until it registers on the dipstick, then start it and keep adding until it's full. it needs to be in the correct gear for an accurate check too. the wrong fluid might cause this shuddering too, read the owner's manual of what's accepted for the trans.