denatured alcohol

Old 01-15-04, 10:52 AM
fasteddy
Visiting Guest
Question denatured alcohol

Hi, we are having very cold temps here in upstate NY. Question, which is best to put in gas tank to prevent freezeup if one should get a bit of water when fueling; denaturated alcohol or dry gas?Thanks for any input!! Also some warmer temps would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-04, 11:35 AM
NO denatured alcohol...

...unless the car is a flex fuel vehicle. Denatured alcohol will attack the rubber components (of which are are many) in the fuel system and cause major damage. Dry gas in the appropriate amount will be fine. DON'T overuse it as it will also cause problems (ask me about the chevy cavalier with 6 empty cans in the back seat that wouldn't run bacause the alcohol was so strong that it ruined the injector coil winding insulation). You can also use isopropyl alcohol but don't use more that a pint to a tankful. actually...if you keep your tank full of fuel you won't get much condensation at all and you don't need to use anything to treat your fuel.

PS...the gasoline itself will not freeze...it's the water in it that normally causes freezing problems.

Old 01-15-04, 03:20 PM
Isn't the dry-gas an alcohol base also?

Old 01-16-04, 07:05 PM
affirmative...

...and I'm reasonably sure that it's isopropyl. How about it any of you chemists out there?

That's why I also recommended the isopropyl...it's WAYYYY cheaper than dry gas.

Old 01-17-04, 02:47 AM
Either way it's an alcohol and damaging to rubber, right?

Old 01-17-04, 05:50 AM
I'm not a chemist but can tell you this isopropyl alcohol will mix with water and burn removing the water from the fuel tank.Denatured alcohol will not mix with the water and will be in the tank about forever so now you have 2 bad things in the fuel tank.So yes dry gas contains isopropyl alcohol.

Old 01-17-04, 05:58 AM
Dry gas is Isopropyl alcohol, the same as rubbing alcohol containing Isopropyl alcohol.

The problem with using rubbing alcohol is it comes in different strengths like 70%, 91% and I think 99.9%.

The problem is water is used to make up the difference. If you can find the 99.9% you would be OK.

Use about 12oz to approx 20 gal of gas

Old 01-17-04, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by Desi501
Either way it's an alcohol and damaging to rubber, right?
According to GM alcohol levels above 10% cause damage to fuel system components.This is just the Gm spec but I would think it is a common spec.If lower levels cause damage I don't really know.Btw guys you should have seen the things I did with my chemistry set as a kid.If I posted them Im sure federal agents would be knocking on my door.LOL

Old 01-23-04, 06:33 PM
I have a 20-year-old can of dry gas. The ingredient is listed as Methanol. Any alcohol will mix with water. Yes, the dry gas will mix with water, but it also mixes with gasoline, so I imagine the effectiveness of alcohol making the water "burnable" is very minimal.

I agree about not overdoing it. Fuel delivery systems aren't designed to handle more than 10% ethanol.