Head Gasket

Old 01-12-04, 06:14 PM
slvrnmph
Visiting Guest
Head Gasket

I've been working on my car to get it running (it was not running for the past year). So far I've replaced the radiator (which was leaking), the battery (dead), and am putting in a new starter tomorrow (also dead). When my car first stopped running, my brother in law said the problem was a blown head gasket, which was (accordding to him) expensive to repair, which was why I left it sitting for so long. I finally decided to try some simple things before assuming the gasket was blown to see if I could get it running again. I'm distrusting his advice because he never mentioned that the starter might be dead.

What I'd like to know is, after I put the new starter in, what can I look/listen for to get an idea of whether or not I have a blown head gasket?

1995 Kia Sephia 1.6 liter, 4 cylinder, automatic.

Old 01-12-04, 06:45 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
I would pressurize the cooling system, see if it holds any pressure at all. Pump it up 12 or 14 lbs.

Old 01-12-04, 06:58 PM
slvrnmph
Visiting Guest
how do I pressurize it?

Old 01-13-04, 04:00 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by slvrnmph
how do I pressurize it?
First, you go out and buy a cooling system pressure tester. You realize this could be an expensive lesson in listening to you brother. So far it has cost you a radiator, a battery and a starter and in the end you may find out that you need a $1500 repair. The leaky radiator is the first clue that it may have been driven too hot and indeed ruined a head gasket/head. I think I would have looked into the history and previous diagnosis a little more before investing those repairs. An expensive lesson....maybe

Old 01-13-04, 06:49 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
You can probably go to autozone and rent one of those. Simply tell them that you need to pressurize your cooling system, they can probably fix you up.

Old 01-13-04, 11:48 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes, Autozone has them for rent. Pay the deposit, bring it back and get your money. Ends up being free.

Old 01-14-04, 10:06 PM
toronado
Visiting Guest
you can check for moisture in the oil an off white foam on the dipstick when engine is running if it is running. I am almost done having the head gaskets replased on my 84 LTD crown vic. and it ran for at least a month with a blown gasket. You might also smell a sweat smell from the exhaust. Or you might see the coolant bubbling in the radiator when it is running.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: