Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

toyota outside thermometer

Forum Topic Moderator

OH

01-15-04, 06:36 PM   #1  
toyota outside thermometer

My 2004 Solara was recently hit in the left (driver's) door.
Since repaired, the outside temerature does not always reflect the actual outside temeratures.
The local Toyota service manager was not sure where the sensor is located, but seemed to think it is in the left side view mirror. If this is true, the body shop needs to check it out. If it is somewhere else, it would be Toyota's problem.
Can anyone tell me where the outside temperature sensor is located on this car?

Sponsored Links

01-15-04, 06:40 PM   #2  
If Toyota can't tell you, we'll be no help. They're the people that built it.

Forum Topic Moderator

OH

01-15-04, 06:49 PM   #3  
I think the service manager just didn't want to be bothered - end of day and all that. If he had consulted a technician, I would have the answer.

Visiting Guest

01-15-04, 11:42 PM   #4  
mike from nj
maybe try walking with your salesman or sales manager up to the service manager, they'll get you some help.

if not, time to find another dealer.

01-16-04, 03:29 AM   #5  
It is in the front grill.

Is your problem that the temp dosen't change say when the car is driven in a garage where it is warmer. It still reads the temp from when it was cold?

That is normal....they have logic that prevents fast temp change readings. It will change in time.

TX

01-16-04, 03:47 PM   #6  
temp bulb

I am with Toyotaman on the location I have a 2003 Matrix and it is right in front of the radiatior in the center has one wire going to it.I thought it was an air bag sensor but dealer told me it was temp bulb.

Forum Topic Moderator

OH

01-17-04, 01:05 PM   #7  
Thanks to mike from NJ. I was about to do that when Toyotaman came up with the answer. I may still have a conversation with my salesman on the subject.

I did find the sensor. It seems to sense falling temperatures much better than rising temperatures. In the morniing it will fall from garage temperature ( 50) to outside temperature (20) in about ten minutes. However, as the day warms up, it stays at 20 all day. When it is back in the garage for three hours or more in the evening it will return to 50.

It just seems like too long a lag time for it to record a temperature rise.

Visiting Guest

01-17-04, 01:26 PM   #8  
darrell McCoy
Not really familiar with your auto, but on a GM, those bulbs are about 8 bucks and simply unplug. Bad news it may be the inside readout going bad.

01-17-04, 01:30 PM   #9  
What you must remember is it is just a barometer of whats going on outside.If you really need an accurate outside temp I'm sure the manufacturers will comply and add yet another 1000 bucks to the price of a car.I wish they never added this stuff to cars because people think it is an absolute reading.The sensor also gets heat from the sun and radiator so it may not the correct temp.I'll take a poll how many people want the thermometer on their mirror to read the temp accurately within plus or minus 2 degrees?They can do do it but at what cost?I don't believe the accuracy of it changed after the collision just you paid more attention to it because you were looking for things the body shop did wrong.Does the paint match?Does the door operate and fit properly?Then the job is done.Sorry I feel this way about it but professional auto repair people see this all the time.It wasn't like that when I brought it in.Only go to shops you trust,in the shop I work in if you blame me for something I didn't do I would refuse to work on your car ever again.Don't assume someone ripped you off.People in the automotive field are under paid for what they deal with and what they need to know.Yep I know people still think we are goober from mayberry rfd.If somone off the street can do my job please take it.

TX

01-17-04, 02:35 PM   #10  
my 2 cents

I have found the Toyota temp gauges to be pretty right on the money I have had 3 one in a 97 Camay one in a 99 Corolla and now this one in a 03 Matrix. mine is off only one degree never changes and it registers pretty darn fast.
I would first unplug the connection to the bulb clean it with some contact cleaner then make sure it is clean.
If that does not work go get a new bulb from the dealer.

01-17-04, 06:52 PM   #11  
The temp gauge in the '02 and up Camry and '04 Solara is different than other Toyota's.

It doesn't directly read the temp like other models. There is nothing wrong with your gauge. It working the way it was designed.

Search this Thread