Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Throttle Body Fuel Leak 1989 Chevy Truck

Visiting Guest

01-15-04, 06:46 PM   #1  
gibsonb7
Throttle Body Fuel Leak 1989 Chevy Truck

After replacing fuel lines (Both Feed and Return) on my 1989 Chevy 2500 Truck, 350 motor, I started the vehicle and after an extended time cranking, it started up. I backed it off of the ramps and shut it off. I went to put the air breather back on and noticed a pocket of fuel on the intake manifold (Drivers Side). I cleaned it up and rechecked the line fittings for tightness. I did not find anything loose. I restarted the vehicle; it sputtered a little but then smoothed out. After about 1 to 2 mins running it started to sputter again and then stopped running. About three to five seconds later a surge of fuel ran down the driverís side of the throttle body and puddled in the same area where I noticed the fuel before. The fuel did not appear to come from the fuel line fittings.

Any thoughts what the problem is?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

01-15-04, 11:48 PM   #2  
mike from nj
get a flashlight and a fire extinguisher and watch exactly where the leak is coming from.

maybe the o-ring got rolled, or the line isn't the exact size to compress the o-ring properly, or the old o-ring was left in the throttle body fitting(2 is not better than 1). are these factory lines, or someone else's?

let us know what you find

01-16-04, 02:39 AM   #3  
Follow Mike's instructions to find the leak. You could have a bad fuel rail. That's fairly common, especially after handling it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oops, wasn't paying attention. Thought you had ported.

Last edited by Desi501; 01-16-04 at 05:48 PM.

01-16-04, 01:35 PM   #4  
It's possible you may have damaged or cracked a fitting at the t-body or one one of the lines is cracked or wasn't made properly causing a bad seal.I'd almost bet Mike is right about the o-ring.

Visiting Guest

01-21-04, 02:45 PM   #5  
gibsonb7
I checked the fuel lines and did not find any additional seals on the line or in the throttle body fittings. I tightened them back down and had someone start the Truck while I observed. It appears the drivers side Fuel Injector is sticking open and filling the cylinder with fuel and causing a stall out. after stalling , it then continues to fill for about 4 to 5 more seconds. To the point that it over flows down the drivers side of the Throttle Body. I am assuming that I need to replace the fuel injector assembly on that side. Any thoughts?

Thanx

01-21-04, 05:09 PM   #6  
Yes if fuel still flows out of that injector after stalling you've found your problem a mechanical injector type failure.Replace it and you should be fine.

Search this Thread