Speedometer cable lube

Old 01-15-04, 08:18 PM
Speedometer cable lube

I understand that there is a graphite base lubricant for speedometer cables. I've checked with several part houses but they don't have it. They recommend using white grease, hi-temp disc brake grease, etc. Is there any reason why these greases would not work? What is the benefit of using the graphite lube?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-04, 10:42 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
i'll admit to using wheel bearing grease one (or more!)

i got mine from the dealer, about 14 years ago, i can't think of a new car that still has a cable though. maybe that's why you can't find any.

and the less you use, the better. i use a rag and pull the cable through it to squeeze all the excess off.

Old 01-16-04, 06:35 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
I had a tube of weedeater cable grease I used one time, as Mike says, use a rag or glove when pulling it thru the fingers, seen some nasty ouchies from frayed cables.

Old 01-16-04, 11:08 AM
Look at Grainger Supply's website, I think it's www.grainger.com .
They have a product that's a graphite chain and cable lube that works pretty well. The Grainger Part Number is 6Y649. I think it's made by Slip Plate but I don't remember the OEM Part Number.

Old 01-16-04, 07:33 PM
Try a good motorcycle shop. Most bikes need regular lubrication of cables (for brakes, throttle, etc.) and use special lubricants for that purpose, though they are not cheap.