Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Speedometer cable lube

CAL

01-15-04, 08:18 PM   #1  
Speedometer cable lube

I understand that there is a graphite base lubricant for speedometer cables. I've checked with several part houses but they don't have it. They recommend using white grease, hi-temp disc brake grease, etc. Is there any reason why these greases would not work? What is the benefit of using the graphite lube?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

01-15-04, 10:42 PM   #2  
mike from nj
i'll admit to using wheel bearing grease one (or more!)

i got mine from the dealer, about 14 years ago, i can't think of a new car that still has a cable though. maybe that's why you can't find any.

and the less you use, the better. i use a rag and pull the cable through it to squeeze all the excess off.

Visiting Guest

01-16-04, 06:35 AM   #3  
darrell McCoy
I had a tube of weedeater cable grease I used one time, as Mike says, use a rag or glove when pulling it thru the fingers, seen some nasty ouchies from frayed cables.

LA

01-16-04, 11:08 AM   #4  
Look at Grainger Supply's website, I think it's www.grainger.com .
They have a product that's a graphite chain and cable lube that works pretty well. The Grainger Part Number is 6Y649. I think it's made by Slip Plate but I don't remember the OEM Part Number.

CAL

01-16-04, 07:33 PM   #5  
Try a good motorcycle shop. Most bikes need regular lubrication of cables (for brakes, throttle, etc.) and use special lubricants for that purpose, though they are not cheap.

Search this Thread