Engine rebuild estimate.$1500 reasonable?

Old 01-16-04, 01:05 PM
gagedad
Visiting Guest
Engine rebuild estimate.$1500 reasonable?

I know basics about auto repair, but when it comes to the majors, I am clueless. I have a 2.2L 4 cyl engine(1995 chevy S10) that has a leaking head gasket. Because it has 150,000 miles on the motor, Ive decided to have the engine rebuit altogether. My brother in law has said he and a friend would do it for $1500 parts and labor, and I was wondering if that sounded about right? I,ve called repair shops, but most laces wont rebuild, theyll simply replace it, which ive got estimates anywhere from $2,400 to $3,500. Just wondering if $1,500 was reasonable for a rebuild.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-04, 01:26 PM
What type of warranty is the friend going to offer in writing?The other places are installing remanufactured engines and will most likely offer a better warranty.If you bought a service manual for your car and have hand tools you could probably do it yourself.You would have to rent an engine hoist(cherry picker)but you would still be hundreds of dollars ahead.Some people replace all the hoses,belts, filters, wires and plugs when they do engines,some don't so ask when you compare.If the friend is a business make sure he has been there for awhile and will be there tomorrow.

Old 01-16-04, 05:46 PM
I'd look into your friends references and history on rebuilding engines. There's a lot of people out there that just see an opportunity to make some money with no experience rebuilding at all. It's not for the beginner, no matter what he tells you. I would never let anyone but an experienced ENGINE REBUILDER do that. The price is what leads me to believe he's just sees a quick buck and doesn't have the experience or knowledge for a job like that.