need help

Old 01-17-04, 05:19 PM
harllo
Visiting Guest
need help

I have a 83 coupe deville 4100 engine what my problem is when its idling i get a sort of white smoke that smells like oil or something, ive been told that its not my head gasket and it also will smoke when i take off and after a while it stop, it does the same thing the next day and so on some one told me that i was getting gas in my oil or oil in my gas if so how could this be possible?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-04, 05:57 PM
White smoke is possibly coolant. Does it smell sweet? There are alot of things that can be going on with a vehicle this age. How has it been maintained? When was the last oil change?
Billy

Old 01-17-04, 06:07 PM
The timing and symptoms point to oil consumption through the valve guides. Could this smoke have a light blue tint to it?

Old 01-17-04, 08:23 PM
harllo
Visiting Guest
yes this smoke does have a sort of a blue to it what can be done to solve the problem? thanks

Old 01-17-04, 10:39 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
i can tell you the HT4100 is not the most reliable engine in the world. i had the exact same car in the family for way too long, until last month. it broke a crankshaft for no apparant reason. the replacement engine (remanufactured) had a head stud pull out of the block(second 'new' engine installed). i know every nut and bolt on that engine. after all that, it ran pretty decent for the last 7 years though.

i talked to a few different cadillac people, and every time i mentioned that engine, they winced(like in pain) and looked around in case there was one actually there.

i've been told the intake manifold gaskets are notorious leakers(to put it nicely) and that the engine was not a good design from day one(to put that nicely too). it's an aluminum block with 'wet' (drop in)piston sleeves, with cast iron heads and an aluminum intake. the different expansion rates of the different metals make for a very diffucult job for the gaskets to seal things.

if you're in to tinkering, two of them suggested to me to replace it with the other optional engine that year, find a good running 307 olds? engine and use that----way more reliable, and bolts right up.

have you kept track of the fluids, like antifreeze and oil? if there's no external leaks, and one is going down, then you know which one is being burned inside it. antifreeze smoke (steam)tends to dissappate quick---oil smoke (smoke) lingers for a while

i can tell you also, the intake gasket replacement is a big job, but not as big as replacing head gaskets. there's even a part under the intake----the lifter valley---which has a 'cast in' label on it "do not remove" even though it unbolts, i heard that it can't be reinstalled properly!

davo---any comments, or are you avoiding this like any smart person? LOL

ps. i have a pair of cylinder heads, off the original engine, that you can have for free. i was just about to throw them out.

Old 01-18-04, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by harllo
yes this smoke does have a sort of a blue to it what can be done to solve the problem? thanks
A valve job is about the only cure for that. You could try just replacing the seals in the car but that would likely be wasting money and only temporary help.

Mike's free heads would be a big help but still a lot of labor.

Old 01-18-04, 06:22 AM
I have to agree with mike those engines are boat anchors and don't even do that well.lol.If you can I really suggest the engine swap because those engines are money pits.I would never buy a car that had one and if given a car with that engine and if something more than brake shoes needed replaced I'd junk it.Sorry but I would either replace the engine or find another car without the 4100.

Search this Thread