86 k5blazer timing?

Old 01-18-04, 06:55 AM
johng chevy
Visiting Guest
86 k5blazer timing?

I have 86 k5 blazer with a 350 carburated engine.I had to change the pickupcoil on the distributor so i put it back were i thought it was but wasn't.So i was wondering how to get it running so i can put a light on it? ps:I tried putting in different positions and turning it but all i get is pops out the carburater!!! thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-04, 08:05 AM
Remove the number 1 spark plug. Stick your finger in the spark plug hole and have someone bump the engine over until you feel pressure and hear air escaping around your finger. Stop here. Rotate the crankshaft by hand until the mark on the harmonic balancer lines up with "0" on the timing tab. Locate the number 1 plug wire on the distributor cap. Point the rotor toward number 1. This will get you where you can get it started. If it still backfires and will not start, start over and this time the number 1 wire tower on the cap will be 180 degrees from where you put it the first time.
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

Old 01-18-04, 08:26 AM
johng chevy
Visiting Guest
thanks i one question,If it dosn't work the 1st time will i have to pull the distributor and turn it all the way around to the other side?

Old 01-18-04, 08:29 AM
You could do that or walk the wires around so that the number 1 matches the new location. Most likely you will get it the first time. The rotor should point towards the front of the engine, so if it does then you know you should be good. Out of hundreds of these I have only chosen the wrong stroke less than a handful of times.
Billy

Old 01-18-04, 08:33 AM
johng chevy
Visiting Guest
Thanks a lot i'll try that!!!

Old 01-18-04, 02:08 PM
Please, if your 180 out, don't just move the wires to match, move the distributor. You could cause some tech out there a real nightmare if he ever has to put those wires back not knowing that was done. I blew a valve cover right off one time after changing a set of wires and installing them where they shoud be without knowing the dist was 180 out.