Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

98 gmc sierra,4.3vortec f/i

MI

01-18-04, 11:09 AM   #1  
98 gmc sierra,4.3vortec f/i

I have noticed a problem w/ truck on cold starts. Every time I start in the morning it rattles like a diesel engine. The noise starts to go away as the engine warms up untill it dissapears. The colder the weather the louder the noise. Asked a few knowhow friends and they said it sounded like a rod nock but rod knock get louder as the engine gets warmer don`t they. Had problem for about 3 mos. All input appreciated. THANKS GUYS.

Sponsored Links

01-18-04, 02:00 PM   #2  
I hope your using the 5W30 oil that is required for that truck. If your not, change it immediatly and you'll see a difference. Heavier oils will do serious damage in extreme cold weather.

MI

01-18-04, 04:31 PM   #3  
I always use 5w30 castrol. sometimes I`ll switch to 5w30 mobil-1 syn. problem is the same. If I accelerate engine when it`s cold noise gets louder but after it warms up it runs great and purss like a kitten. Any more inputs will be greatly appreciated.

01-19-04, 02:36 PM   #4  
It may be carbon deposits.Try using top engine cleaner on the truck(available at a Gm dealer)if that doesn't solve the problem you may need a tensioner kit installed to reduce the noise from the balance shaft.

Visiting Guest

01-19-04, 09:26 PM   #5  
toivo
cold starts

davo, how does a tensioner kit help eliminate the noise?

Search this Thread